Moving FAQs to PgFoundry

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi Bruce,

As you know, Peter moved the translation stuff to PgFoundry. As a
translator, I'm happy to commit to there since I can do it whenever I
want -- better than sending to the list each time I update.

What about doing the same for FAQ translations? We may have a chance to
assign several translators to each FAQ and we may easily keep them
up2date. The website can be configured to pull them from CVS.

I can assist you during this moving process, if you want.

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Moving FAQs to PgFoundry

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> As you know, Peter moved the translation stuff to PgFoundry.
> As a translator, I'm happy to commit to there since I can do
> it whenever I want -- better than sending to the list each
> time I update.
>
> What about doing the same for FAQ translations? We may have a
> chance to assign several translators to each FAQ and we may
> easily keep them up2date. The website can be configured to
> pull them from CVS.
>
> I can assist you during this moving process, if you want.

If we're moving it to a different cvs, perhaps we should consider moving
them directly into the website cvs?

//Magnus

Re: Moving FAQs to PgFoundry

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 15:36 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > What about doing the same for FAQ translations? We may have a
> > chance to assign several translators to each FAQ and we may
> > easily keep them up2date. The website can be configured to
> > pull them from CVS.
> >
> > I can assist you during this moving process, if you want.
>
> If we're moving it to a different cvs, perhaps we should consider moving
> them directly into the website cvs?

This is not directly related with the website development I think. They
are also in main source code. So a seperate CVS would be cool IMHO, like
translations as I wrote before.

Date:
> > > What about doing the same for FAQ translations? We may
> have a chance
> > > to assign several translators to each FAQ and we may easily keep
> > > them up2date. The website can be configured to pull them from CVS.
> > >
> > > I can assist you during this moving process, if you want.
> >
> > If we're moving it to a different cvs, perhaps we should consider
> > moving them directly into the website cvs?
>
> This is not directly related with the website development I
> think. They are also in main source code. So a seperate CVS
> would be cool IMHO, like translations as I wrote before.

No, but it is directly related to website content.
If we'd move them to a different cvs (be that web or separate project),
I'd expect them to go away from main cvs? Is there any actual point in
keeping them in more than one place?

//Magnus

Re: Moving FAQs to PgFoundry

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 15:56 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> If we'd move them to a different cvs (be that web or separate project),
> I'd expect them to go away from main cvs? Is there any actual point in
> keeping them in more than one place?

As done in translation project, the main website will pull from the
other CVS. Here we need to mail to Bruce to update the FAQs, etc. Now we
will be able to commit to another CVS.

Date:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 15:56 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > If we'd move them to a different cvs (be that web or separate project),
> > I'd expect them to go away from main cvs? Is there any actual point in
> > keeping them in more than one place?
>
> As done in translation project, the main website will pull from the
> other CVS. Here we need to mail to Bruce to update the FAQs, etc. Now we
> will be able to commit to another CVS.

The only trick is that release packaging will need to pull from that
CVS.  I think right now Peter pulls the *.po files manually from there
to the source CVS, right?

Re: Moving FAQs to PgFoundry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> have a chance

>>> If we're moving it to a different cvs, perhaps we should consider
>>> moving them directly into the website cvs?
>>
>> This is not directly related with the website development I
>> think. They are also in main source code. So a seperate CVS
>> would be cool IMHO, like translations as I wrote before.
>
> No, but it is directly related to website content.
> If we'd move them to a different cvs (be that web or separate project),
> I'd expect them to go away from main cvs? Is there any actual point in
> keeping them in more than one place?

Stupid question here, but Devrim's idea is that ppl can be easily added to
CVS with write permissions to update/modify the various translations,
without having to submit patches ...

Do you *really* want a bunch of ppl with write access to the main web site
CVS? :)

----

Re: Moving FAQs to PgFoundry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 15:56 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>>> If we'd move them to a different cvs (be that web or separate project),
>>> I'd expect them to go away from main cvs? Is there any actual point in
>>> keeping them in more than one place?
>>
>> As done in translation project, the main website will pull from the
>> other CVS. Here we need to mail to Bruce to update the FAQs, etc. Now we
>> will be able to commit to another CVS.
>
> The only trick is that release packaging will need to pull from that
> CVS.  I think right now Peter pulls the *.po files manually from there
> to the source CVS, right?

Actually, if I know where to pull from, adding that sort of thing to the
build scripts isn't that hard ... in fact, I've suggested this in so far
as pulling in stuff like JDBC into the main tar ball as well, where we
could pull in a specific 'tag branch' when building ... just means that
the JDBC folks, as an example, would have to create a tag that we could
use for that specific purpose ...

----