Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Makefile

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> One idea would be to replace file content with a single URL that points
> to the development docs, then when the tarball is built, it can
> overwrite those files.
>
> Marc?

Overwrite the files with ... ?  The contents of the URL itself, pulled
down with lynx?

if so, ya, that's easy enough ...

----

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Makefile

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > One idea would be to replace file content with a single URL that points
> > to the development docs, then when the tarball is built, it can
> > overwrite those files.
> >
> > Marc?
>
> Overwrite the files with ... ?  The contents of the URL itself, pulled
> down with lynx?
>
> if so, ya, that's easy enough ...

No, actually the URL points to an HTML.  You need to do 'gmake HISTORY'
in the sgml directory, and put that in /HISTORY.  Same for INSTALL.

Date:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > One idea would be to replace file content with a single URL that points
> > > to the development docs, then when the tarball is built, it can
> > > overwrite those files.
> > >
> > > Marc?
> >
> > Overwrite the files with ... ?  The contents of the URL itself, pulled
> > down with lynx?
> >
> > if so, ya, that's easy enough ...
>
> No, actually the URL points to an HTML.  You need to do 'gmake HISTORY'
> in the sgml directory, and put that in /HISTORY.  Same for INSTALL.

Ah, even easier ... stupid question, but the snapshot is still using the
7.4 docs ... is there a 'gmake' I should be using to build man.tar.gz,
like I do with postgres?

Based on the above, though, here are the steps for building the snapshot
that should be followed ... please confirm ...

/usr/bin/cvs -d /cvsroot -q export -rHEAD pgsql
cd pgsql
./configure
cd doc/src
gmake postgres.tar.gz
mv postgres.tar.gz ..
cp ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/postgres.tar.gz ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.4.tar.gz ../doc
cd sgml
gmake HISTORY INSTALL
cp HISTORY INSTALL ../../..
cd ../../..
gmake split-dist=yes VERSION=snapshot dist
gmake maintainer-clean

----

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Makefile

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> cp ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/postgres.tar.gz ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.4.tar.gz ../doc

That doesn't look right; for one thing you just made a postgres.tar.gz,
why would you overwrite it?  Also see the business about whether
man.tar.gz has a version number.

> cd sgml
> gmake HISTORY INSTALL
> cp HISTORY INSTALL ../../..
> cd ../../..

This gmake will leave some crud files that you don't want in the distro.
Instead of 'cp' I'd suggest
    mv -f HISTORY INSTALL ../../..
    gmake clean

Not sure if there are any other issues.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Makefile

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> This gmake will leave some crud files that you don't want in the
> distro. Instead of 'cp' I'd suggest
>     mv -f HISTORY INSTALL ../../..
>     gmake clean

The "make dist" step will do its own cleaning.

Date:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > cp ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/postgres.tar.gz ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.4.tar.gz ../doc
>
> That doesn't look right; for one thing you just made a postgres.tar.gz,
> why would you overwrite it?  Also see the business about whether
> man.tar.gz has a version number.

k, both of those are fixed ...

> > cd sgml
> > gmake HISTORY INSTALL
> > cp HISTORY INSTALL ../../..
> > cd ../../..
>
> This gmake will leave some crud files that you don't want in the distro.
> Instead of 'cp' I'd suggest
>     mv -f HISTORY INSTALL ../../..
>     gmake clean
>
> Not sure if there are any other issues.

Changed ...

----

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> /usr/bin/cvs -d /cvsroot -q export -rHEAD pgsql
> cd pgsql
> ./configure
> cd doc/src
> gmake postgres.tar.gz
> mv postgres.tar.gz ..
> cp ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/postgres.tar.gz ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.4.tar.gz
> ../doc cd sgml
> gmake HISTORY INSTALL
> cp HISTORY INSTALL ../../..
> cd ../../..
> gmake split-dist=yes VERSION=snapshot dist
> gmake maintainer-clean

This looks mostly correct (modulo the other comments), but it seems
there is still a lot of room for automation in there.

Date:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > /usr/bin/cvs -d /cvsroot -q export -rHEAD pgsql
> > cd pgsql
> > ./configure
> > cd doc/src
> > gmake postgres.tar.gz
> > mv postgres.tar.gz ..
> > cp ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/postgres.tar.gz ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.4.tar.gz
> > ../doc cd sgml
> > gmake HISTORY INSTALL
> > cp HISTORY INSTALL ../../..
> > cd ../../..
> > gmake split-dist=yes VERSION=snapshot dist
> > gmake maintainer-clean
>
> This looks mostly correct (modulo the other comments), but it seems
> there is still a lot of room for automation in there.

Definitely open to suggestions on changing it ... I'm down to:

/usr/bin/cvs -d /cvsroot -q export -rHEAD pgsql
cd pgsql
./configure
cd doc/src
gmake postgres.tar.gz
mv postgres.tar.gz ..
cp ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.4.tar.gz ../doc/man.tar.gz
cd sgml
gmake HISTORY INSTALL
mv -f HISTORY INSTALL ../../..
cd ../../..
gmake split-dist=yes VERSION=snapshot dist
gmake maintainer-clean

You tell me what else I should add here ... :)

----

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Makefile

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > This gmake will leave some crud files that you don't want in the
> > distro. Instead of 'cp' I'd suggest
> >     mv -f HISTORY INSTALL ../../..
> >     gmake clean
>
> The "make dist" step will do its own cleaning.

Actually only as of yesterday.  There was no clean target for HISTORY
and INSTALL before.

I just added the clean target to 7.4.X too.

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Makefile

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Definitely open to suggestions on changing it ... I'm down to:

> cd doc/src
> gmake postgres.tar.gz
> mv postgres.tar.gz ..
> cp ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.4.tar.gz ../doc/man.tar.gz

On second look, isn't that copying the man tarball to the wrong
directory?  Looks like it'll try to put it in doc/doc ...

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > > This gmake will leave some crud files that you don't want in the
> > > distro. Instead of 'cp' I'd suggest
> > >     mv -f HISTORY INSTALL ../../..
> > >     gmake clean
> >
> > The "make dist" step will do its own cleaning.
>
> Actually only as of yesterday.  There was no clean target for HISTORY
> and INSTALL before.
>
> I just added the clean target to 7.4.X too.

'k, and I've removed it from the script ...

----

Date:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Definitely open to suggestions on changing it ... I'm down to:
>
> > cd doc/src
> > gmake postgres.tar.gz
> > mv postgres.tar.gz ..
> > cp ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.4.tar.gz ../doc/man.tar.gz
>
> On second look, isn't that copying the man tarball to the wrong
> directory?  Looks like it'll try to put it in doc/doc ...

Fixed ... does nobody ever download teh nsapshots? :)  that script hasn't
been touched in *months* now ...

----

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Definitely open to suggestions on changing it ... I'm down to:

The reason this is all so complicated in the first place is that in the
past we wanted to defend ourselves against broken documentation sources
when building snapshots.  As of now this doesn't work anymore, so we
might as well automate the whole process including the documentation
build and be done with these games.  Comments?

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Makefile

Date:
> The reason this is all so complicated in the first place is that in the
> past we wanted to defend ourselves against broken documentation sources
> when building snapshots.  As of now this doesn't work anymore, so we
> might as well automate the whole process including the documentation
> build and be done with these games.  Comments?

Making the man pages is still non-automatable, no?  Folding the HTML
document build into "make dist" is probably reasonable, but I don't
see that it will make for any big gain in the reliability of the
process...

            regards, tom lane