COPY access rights

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
The 7.2.1 documentation says that either insert or update access is needed
to use COPY FROM. However under GRANT the INSERT description says it
gives access to COPY FROM, but the UPDATE description doesn't.

Since it doesn't look like you could really use COPY FROM to do updates,
I am guessing that the information under COPY is incorrect.

Re: COPY access rights

Date:
> The 7.2.1 documentation says that either insert or update access is needed
> to use COPY FROM. However under GRANT the INSERT description says it
> gives access to COPY FROM, but the UPDATE description doesn't.

The code wants INSERT and nothing but, which seems correct to me since
COPY FROM is effectively a series of INSERTs.  IIRC it used to accept
UPDATE too; I suspect someone missed this statement in the documentation
when we changed it.

I see the erroneous statement on the COPY reference page; did you notice
it anywhere else?

Now that I look, the GRANT page is confused too: COPY FROM is FROM a
file, not FROM a table.  Will fix.

            regards, tom lane

Re: COPY access rights

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 02:39:19PM -0400,
  Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> writes:
> > The 7.2.1 documentation says that either insert or update access is needed
> > to use COPY FROM. However under GRANT the INSERT description says it
> > gives access to COPY FROM, but the UPDATE description doesn't.
>
> The code wants INSERT and nothing but, which seems correct to me since
> COPY FROM is effectively a series of INSERTs.  IIRC it used to accept
> UPDATE too; I suspect someone missed this statement in the documentation
> when we changed it.
>
> I see the erroneous statement on the COPY reference page; did you notice
> it anywhere else?

I just saw it on the COPY command reference part of the SQL COMMANDS
section of the documentation.

> Now that I look, the GRANT page is confused too: COPY FROM is FROM a
> file, not FROM a table.  Will fix.

That was my mistake. It does say COPY TO for insert.

>             regards, tom lane

Official Documentation in Spanish

From
Eduardo Maldonado
Date:
The team of translation to spanish for the documentation of PostgreSQL
is happy to annonce the publication of the alfa version for the spanish
version of the official documentation.

This translation is about the 6.5.3 version, it's true, but we are
already working in 7.1.2 (13 % done now).

We'll happy to recibe comments, sugestions, ...

Best regard.

Eduardo Maldonado doc-postgresql-es@listas.hispalinux.es
Coordinator