Formatted man pages

Date:
I see a man.tar.gz on the ftp site in the /dev/doc directory.  Shouldn't
those file be added to the web site and main ftp directories?

Re: Formatted man pages

Date:
> I see a man.tar.gz on the ftp site in the /dev/doc directory.  Shouldn't
> those file be added to the web site and main ftp directories?

It's part of the distribution tarball already, no?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Formatted man pages

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I see a man.tar.gz on the ftp site in the /dev/doc directory.  Shouldn't
> > those file be added to the web site and main ftp directories?
>
> It's part of the distribution tarball already, no?

You would think so, but I can't find them.  The HTML reference pages are
there, but not the formatted manual pages.

Re: Formatted man pages

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > > I see a man.tar.gz on the ftp site in the /dev/doc directory.  Shouldn't
> > > those file be added to the web site and main ftp directories?
> >
> > It's part of the distribution tarball already, no?
>
> You would think so, but I can't find them.  The HTML reference pages are
> there, but not the formatted manual pages.

$ tar tzf postgresql-7.2.tar.gz | grep man.tar.gz
postgresql-7.2/doc/man.tar.gz

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Formatted man pages

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > >
> > > It's part of the distribution tarball already, no?
> >
> > You would think so, but I can't find them.  The HTML reference pages are
> > there, but not the formatted manual pages.
>
> $ tar tzf postgresql-7.2.tar.gz | grep man.tar.gz
> postgresql-7.2/doc/man.tar.gz

Oh, so it is in the main tarball and not in the docs tarball?

Re: Formatted man pages

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Oh, so it is in the main tarball and not in the docs tarball?

Yeah, because that's where the programs are that the man pages document.

--

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Oh, so it is in the main tarball and not in the docs tarball?
>
> Yeah, because that's where the programs are that the man pages document.

But shouldn't it be in the doc tarball too?

Re: Formatted man pages

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > Oh, so it is in the main tarball and not in the docs tarball?
> >
> > Yeah, because that's where the programs are that the man pages document.
>
> But shouldn't it be in the doc tarball too?

You could argue for them being in the docs tarball, but not for "too",
because these tarballs must be nonoverlapping (and you need to main
tarball anyway to do anything with the others).

--

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > Yeah, because that's where the programs are that the man pages document.
> >
> > But shouldn't it be in the doc tarball too?
>
> You could argue for them being in the docs tarball, but not for "too",
> because these tarballs must be nonoverlapping (and you need to main
> tarball anyway to do anything with the others).

Oh.  I thought postgresql-7.2.tar.gz had everything.  I guess it has
everything except the HTML docs.  I see now.  Makes sense.

Re: Formatted man pages

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:

> > > But shouldn't it be in the doc tarball too?
> >
> > You could argue for them being in the docs tarball, but not for "too",
> > because these tarballs must be nonoverlapping (and you need to main
> > tarball anyway to do anything with the others).
>
> Oh.  I thought postgresql-7.2.tar.gz had everything.  I guess it has
> everything except the HTML docs.  I see now.  Makes sense.

Glad it makes sense to someone.  I, too, thought the main tarball had
everything.  It should.  I was under the impression that the base tarball
is the one you needed if you were only grabbing parts of the distribution.

Vince.

Re: Formatted man pages

Date:
Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > Oh.  I thought postgresql-7.2.tar.gz had everything.  I guess it has
> > everything except the HTML docs.  I see now.  Makes sense.
>
> Glad it makes sense to someone.  I, too, thought the main tarball had
> everything.  It should.  I was under the impression that the base tarball
> is the one you needed if you were only grabbing parts of the distribution.

Actually, it doesn't make sense to me.  I was being polite.  :-)  I
thought the postgresql-7.2.tar.gz had everything, including HTML.  At
least I think it should.

In fact, in looking at the postgresql-7.2.tar.gz tarball, I see:

FAQ                     FAQ_Solaris             TODO
FAQ_AIX                 FAQ_german              TODO.detail/
FAQ_DEV                 FAQ_japanese            bug.template
FAQ_HPUX                KNOWN_BUGS              man.tar.gz   <----
FAQ_IRIX                MISSING_FEATURES        postgres.tar.gz  <----
FAQ_MSWIN               Makefile                src/
FAQ_QNX4                README.mb.big5
FAQ_SCO                 README.mb.jp

So, it has the man pages and HTML files?  OK, I see now, the man pages
are in the base tarball postgresql-base-7.2.tar.gz, so they don't need
to be in the doc tarball.  Now, I really do get it.

Re: Formatted man pages

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > > Oh.  I thought postgresql-7.2.tar.gz had everything.  I guess it has
> > > everything except the HTML docs.  I see now.  Makes sense.
> >
> > Glad it makes sense to someone.  I, too, thought the main tarball had
> > everything.  It should.  I was under the impression that the base tarball
> > is the one you needed if you were only grabbing parts of the distribution.
>
> Actually, it doesn't make sense to me.  I was being polite.  :-)  I
> thought the postgresql-7.2.tar.gz had everything, including HTML.  At
> least I think it should.
>
> In fact, in looking at the postgresql-7.2.tar.gz tarball, I see:
>
> FAQ                     FAQ_Solaris             TODO
> FAQ_AIX                 FAQ_german              TODO.detail/
> FAQ_DEV                 FAQ_japanese            bug.template
> FAQ_HPUX                KNOWN_BUGS              man.tar.gz   <----
> FAQ_IRIX                MISSING_FEATURES        postgres.tar.gz  <----
> FAQ_MSWIN               Makefile                src/
> FAQ_QNX4                README.mb.big5
> FAQ_SCO                 README.mb.jp

If this is the doc directory then the main tarball does have everything
and it makes sense to me now too.

Vince.

Re: Formatted man pages

Date:
> thought the postgresql-7.2.tar.gz had everything, including HTML.  At
> least I think it should.

Certainly, and it does.

> So, it has the man pages and HTML files?  OK, I see now, the man pages
> are in the base tarball postgresql-base-7.2.tar.gz, so they don't need
> to be in the doc tarball.  Now, I really do get it.

I thought the item under discussion was which split-tarball file should
contain the prebuilt doc files.  To me, putting 'em in -docs makes much
more sense than putting them in -base, for both HTML and man-page files.
So I think your complaint was legit, if poorly worded.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Formatted man pages

Tom Lane wrote:
> > thought the postgresql-7.2.tar.gz had everything, including HTML.  At
> > least I think it should.
>
> Certainly, and it does.
>
> > So, it has the man pages and HTML files?  OK, I see now, the man pages
> > are in the base tarball postgresql-base-7.2.tar.gz, so they don't need
> > to be in the doc tarball.  Now, I really do get it.
>
> I thought the item under discussion was which split-tarball file should
> contain the prebuilt doc files.  To me, putting 'em in -docs makes much
> more sense than putting them in -base, for both HTML and man-page files.
> So I think your complaint was legit, if poorly worded.

Yes, I did expect them to be only in doc, not in base.  In fact, when I
didn't find them in /doc, I thought they weren't anywhere.  I never
thought to look in base.

However, Peter's point is that they go with the binaries and are not
part of the documentation set, at least not in man pages format.  In
HTML format, they are in the doc set.