Translations and How-To-Do-Buttons ?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good process to follow when attempting to
translate sites into Non-English langages, especially ones based on
Totally Different font glyphs than the English ones?

The reason I ask, is there are now the beginnings of Simplified Chinese
and Russian translations of the Techdocs site at :

Chinese - Thanks to Weiping He <laser@zhengmai.com.cn>

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/gb2312/

Russian - Thanks to Yuri Kozlov <y_kozlov@chat.ru>

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/koi8-r/

Although the actual pages are in the correct languages, the buttons are
still english.  If I do a cut-and-paste into Photoshop of translated
text, Photoshop has *no idea* of these other languages, and procedes to
give the same character mapped into an English glyph set.  Very Wrong.

So... please someone have good hints or ideas about creating correct
buttons in this situation.  :)

I'm all ears... er... eyes!

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Translations and How-To-Do-Buttons ?

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 8 May 2001, Justin Clift wrote:

> Although the actual pages are in the correct languages, the buttons are
> still english.  If I do a cut-and-paste into Photoshop of translated
> text, Photoshop has *no idea* of these other languages, and procedes to
> give the same character mapped into an English glyph set.  Very Wrong.
>
> So... please someone have good hints or ideas about creating correct
> buttons in this situation.  :)
>
> I'm all ears... er... eyes!

Don't work with it as text, create a graphic out of it and paste that
onto your button.

Vince.

Re: Translations and How-To-Do-Buttons ?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Aha.  Good idea.

Screenshot it.  Cut-and-paste the screenshot into the button.

That should work.  :)

Thanks heaps Vince.

+ Justin

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Tue, 8 May 2001, Justin Clift wrote:
>
> > Although the actual pages are in the correct languages, the buttons are
> > still english.  If I do a cut-and-paste into Photoshop of translated
> > text, Photoshop has *no idea* of these other languages, and procedes to
> > give the same character mapped into an English glyph set.  Very Wrong.
> >
> > So... please someone have good hints or ideas about creating correct
> > buttons in this situation.  :)
> >
> > I'm all ears... er... eyes!
>
> Don't work with it as text, create a graphic out of it and paste that
> onto your button.
>
> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>          56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Translations and How-To-Do-Buttons ?

From
Weiping He
Date:
Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know of a good process to follow when attempting to
> translate sites into Non-English langages, especially ones based on
> Totally Different font glyphs than the English ones?
>
> The reason I ask, is there are now the beginnings of Simplified Chinese
> and Russian translations of the Techdocs site at :
>
> Chinese - Thanks to Weiping He <laser@zhengmai.com.cn>
>
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/gb2312/
>
> Russian - Thanks to Yuri Kozlov <y_kozlov@chat.ru>
>
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/koi8-r/
>
> Although the actual pages are in the correct languages, the buttons are
> still english.  If I do a cut-and-paste into Photoshop of translated
> text, Photoshop has *no idea* of these other languages, and procedes to
> give the same character mapped into an English glyph set.  Very Wrong.
>
> So... please someone have good hints or ideas about creating correct
> buttons in this situation.  :)
>
> I'm all ears... er... eyes!
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

I think cope those image as *image* to do is more easy.
don't know if I can do it with some tools, but I'll try.

Regards

Laser

Re: Translations and How-To-Do-Buttons ?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Laser,

If you've got Photoshop, then most of the images are in
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/psd

Just created a page of links for it :

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/psd/index.php

Everyone's quite welcome to take a look.  They're Photoshop 5.0 files.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Weiping He wrote:

> Justin Clift wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone know of a good process to follow when attempting to
> > translate sites into Non-English langages, especially ones based on
> > Totally Different font glyphs than the English ones?
> >
> > The reason I ask, is there are now the beginnings of Simplified Chinese
> > and Russian translations of the Techdocs site at :
> >
> > Chinese - Thanks to Weiping He <laser@zhengmai.com.cn>
> >
> > http://techdocs.postgresql.org/gb2312/
> >
> > Russian - Thanks to Yuri Kozlov <y_kozlov@chat.ru>
> >
> > http://techdocs.postgresql.org/koi8-r/
> >
> > Although the actual pages are in the correct languages, the buttons are
> > still english.  If I do a cut-and-paste into Photoshop of translated
> > text, Photoshop has *no idea* of these other languages, and procedes to
> > give the same character mapped into an English glyph set.  Very Wrong.
> >
> > So... please someone have good hints or ideas about creating correct
> > buttons in this situation.  :)
> >
> > I'm all ears... er... eyes!
> >
> > Regards and best wishes,
> >
> > Justin Clift
> >

> I think cope those image as *image* to do is more easy.
> don't know if I can do it with some tools, but I'll try.
>
> Regards
>
> Laser

     - Indira Gandhi