Where's the Database?

From
"Big Bad Data Daddy"
Date:
Hey List;

I've been really getting into PostgreSQL attempting to rewrite my current
website ( www.HireLiveMusicians.com ) with a DB backend.  The site is
working on flat text files currently.  My question is for archiving/backing
up  and just general knowledge, where are my databases being stored by
default.  I've been creating the database logged on a specific user not
root.  I'm just curious, I know that I'm supposed to write scripts to create
the tables, triggers, indexes, etc and then import my exported data back
into the tables if something runs amiss.

TIA

Mike
www.HireLiveMusicians.com
www.MaroisApps.com
www.TheDukesofDixieland.com

Re: Where's the Database?

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
"Big Bad Data Daddy" wrote:
  >Hey List;
  >
  >I've been really getting into PostgreSQL attempting to rewrite my current
  >website ( www.HireLiveMusicians.com ) with a DB backend.  The site is
  >working on flat text files currently.  My question is for archiving/backing
  >up  and just general knowledge, where are my databases being stored by
  >default.  I've been creating the database logged on a specific user not
  >root.  I'm just curious, I know that I'm supposed to write scripts to create
  >the tables, triggers, indexes, etc and then import my exported data back
  >into the tables if something runs amiss.

Your databases are stored where you told initdb to put them.

When you create a new database it goes in the same directory as all the others;
ownership is not relevant to that, since all the files are owned by the
postgresql administrator login.

     "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to
      become the sons of God, even to them that believe on
      his name."    John 1:12

Re: Where's the Database?

From
Roberto Mello
Date:
On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 08:51:28PM -0500, Big Bad Data Daddy wrote:
> Hey List;
>
> I've been really getting into PostgreSQL attempting to rewrite my current
> website ( www.HireLiveMusicians.com ) with a DB backend.  The site is
> working on flat text files currently.  My question is for archiving/backing
> up  and just general knowledge, where are my databases being stored by
> default.  I've been creating the database logged on a specific user not
> root.  I'm just curious, I know that I'm supposed to write scripts to create
> the tables, triggers, indexes, etc and then import my exported data back
> into the tables if something runs amiss.

    Oliver already answered the first question. If you are using RPMs or
DEBs to install Postgres, your databases should be in
/var/lib/postgresql/data
    It's a very good idea to read tho scetion on Backups on the
Administrator's Guide.

    -Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+