SQL keywords

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
The section on SQL keywords in the User's Guide needs some updating.

I figured that I could generate these various lists of reserved and
non-reserved keywords automatically --- and indeed I can!

But now I've got 36 lists of keywords (all the set differences between
SQL92 reserved/non-reserved, SQL99 reserved/non-reserved, PG
reserved/non-reserved (which is a simplification)) -- none of which are
empty (some keywords where dropped from reserved to non-reserved between
SQL92 and 99) -- but that's more than anyone wants to know.

But does anyone know what they do want to know?

The list of PostgreSQL reserved words seems to be the only thing I can see
as definitely essential.  But which is more important:  The list of words
that are reserved in PG but *not* reserved in SQLxx (i.e., what problems
can I expect when porting stuff to PG), or the opposite (i.e., what words
should I avoid when writing portable SQL).

Re: SQL keywords

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 12:29:16AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> But does anyone know what they do want to know?
>
> The list of PostgreSQL reserved words seems to be the only thing I can see
> as definitely essential.  But which is more important:  The list of words
> that are reserved in PG but *not* reserved in SQLxx (i.e., what problems
> can I expect when porting stuff to PG), or the opposite (i.e., what words
> should I avoid when writing portable SQL).

If anyone ever gets around to writing an SQL Flagger (as required for
FIPS 127-2 compliance: the US Federal gov't standard that incorporates
SQL92) they'll need the second list: things in PG not in the standard(s)

Ross
--
Open source code is like a natural resource, it's the result of providing
food and sunshine to programmers, and then staying out of their way.

Re: SQL keywords

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The section on SQL keywords in the User's Guide needs some updating.
>
> I figured that I could generate these various lists of reserved and
> non-reserved keywords automatically --- and indeed I can!
>
> But now I've got 36 lists of keywords (all the set differences between
> SQL92 reserved/non-reserved, SQL99 reserved/non-reserved, PG
> reserved/non-reserved (which is a simplification)) -- none of which are
> empty (some keywords where dropped from reserved to non-reserved between
> SQL92 and 99) -- but that's more than anyone wants to know.
>
> But does anyone know what they do want to know?
>
> The list of PostgreSQL reserved words seems to be the only thing I can see
> as definitely essential.  But which is more important:  The list of words
> that are reserved in PG but *not* reserved in SQLxx (i.e., what problems
> can I expect when porting stuff to PG), or the opposite (i.e., what words
> should I avoid when writing portable SQL).

It could be a good thing to have a table of the form

Keyword    |  PostgreSQL  |   SQL 92    |   SQL 99    |
-----------+--------------+-------------+-------------+
SELECT     |   Reserved   |   Reserved  |   Reserved  |
WITH       |       -      |      -      |   Reserved  |
IN         |      Yes     |      -      |   Reserved  |

-----------
Hannu

Re: SQL keywords

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Hannu Krosing writes:

> It could be a good thing to have a table of the form
>
> Keyword    |  PostgreSQL  |   SQL 92    |   SQL 99    |
> -----------+--------------+-------------+-------------+
> SELECT     |   Reserved   |   Reserved  |   Reserved  |
> WITH       |       -      |      -      |   Reserved  |
> IN         |      Yes     |      -      |   Reserved  |

I like that.

Re: SQL keywords

From
Emmanuel Charpentier
Date:
Hi !

Le 12/16/00, à 9:14:16 AM h, hannu@tm.ee (Hannu Krosing) vous a écrit sur
le sujet suivant Re: [DOCS] SQL keywords:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> > The section on SQL keywords in the User's Guide needs some updating.
> >
> > I figured that I could generate these various lists of reserved and
> > non-reserved keywords automatically --- and indeed I can!

[ bandwidth savings ... ]

> It could be a good thing to have a table of the form

> Keyword    |  PostgreSQL  |   SQL 92    |   SQL 99    |
> -----------+--------------+-------------+-------------+
> SELECT     |   Reserved   |   Reserved  |   Reserved  |
> WITH       |       -      |      -      |   Reserved  |
> IN         |      Yes     |      -      |   Reserved  |

Hmmm ...

Better make that
Keyword     | Standard  | Status  |
------------+-----------+---------+
SELECT      | SQL92     | Reserved|
SELECT      | SQL99     | Reserved|
SELECT      | PostgreSQL| Reserved|
WITH        | SQL92     | Nope    |
WITH        | SQL99     | Reserved|
WITH        | PostgeSQL | Nope    |
IN          | SQL92     | Nope    |
IN          | SQL99     | Reserved|
IN          | PostgreSQL| Yep     |

This form allows for greater flexibility in query/views building. Obvious
drawback : the primary key is composite.

Any thoughts ?

                    Emmanuel Charpentier