UHH - what?? bad date answer suddenly

From
RK
Date:
Hi all!

How could it postgresql on cygwin suddenly started to answer a bad date.

Server was running on cygwin for months (!) by now.

But from today it started to anser bad date to freguently called

now()  funtion.

for

SELECT NOW() it answered:  2004-08-31.......  ????

What has happened?

After restarting everything became just fine again

cygwin, 7.3 postgresql

thanks

Robert

Re: UHH - what?? bad date answer suddenly

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 20 October 2004 10:40, RK wrote:
> Hi all!
> How could it postgresql on cygwin suddenly started to answer a bad date.
> Server was running on cygwin for months (!) by now.
> But from today it started to anser bad date to freguently called
> now()  funtion.
> for
> SELECT NOW() it answered:  2004-08-31.......  ????
> What has happened?
> After restarting everything became just fine again
> cygwin, 7.3 postgresql

PostgreSQL just returns system time for now(), so most likely something
happened with your system time.  Only other thing I could think of would be
you were select now() in a transaction that had been open for a few months,
but that seems unlikely.

--
Robert Treat

Re: UHH - what?? bad date answer suddenly

From
George Weaver
Date:
You have probably experiencing a known problem with cygwin.  See:

HTH,
George

> On Wednesday 20 October 2004 10:40, RK wrote:
>> Hi all!
>> How could it postgresql on cygwin suddenly started to answer a bad date.
>> Server was running on cygwin for months (!) by now.
>> But from today it started to anser bad date to freguently called
>> now()  funtion.
>> for
>> SELECT NOW() it answered:  2004-08-31.......  ????
>> What has happened?
>> After restarting everything became just fine again
>> cygwin, 7.3 postgresql
>>

> PostgreSQL just returns system time for now(), so most likely something
> happened with your system time.  Only other thing I could think of would
> be
> you were select now() in a transaction that had been open for a few
> months,
> but that seems unlikely.
>
> --
> Robert Treat
> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

Re: UHH - what?? bad date answer suddenly

From
Reini Urban
Date:
George Weaver schrieb:
> You have probably experiencing a known problem with cygwin.  See:
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg01016.html

just yesterday a similar fix for cron was detected and fixed.
(re-sync with windows system time after hibernate)

if it will not be fixed upstream in the libc (not very likely),
I will add a cygwin patch to the next postgresql build. But I'm very
busy right now.

http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/