INITDB error

From
"Mike Leahy"
Date:
Hello all,

I just compiled and installed PostgreSQL 7.4 on a cygwin/WinXP platform.
When I try to run the initdb command, I get the results below.  Has anyone
had a similar problem, and/or does anyone know what I should do to get
around this?

Thanks,
Mike.

$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/share/postgresql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 100
selecting default shared_buffers... 1000
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1... ok
initializing pg_shadow... ok
enabling unlimited row size for system tables... ok
initializing pg_depend... ok
creating system views... ok
newline style
CONTEXT:  COPY tmp_pg_description, line 1542: ""

initdb: failed

Re: INITDB error

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Mike,

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:12:16PM -0500, Mike Leahy wrote:
> I just compiled and installed PostgreSQL 7.4 on a cygwin/WinXP
> platform.  When I try to run the initdb command, I get the results
> below.  Has anyone had a similar problem, and/or does anyone know what
> I should do to get around this?

Use the pre-built version, if possible.

Jason

Re: INITDB error

From
Mike Leahy
Date:
The bre-built version is not really an option in my case, since I need to
comment-out some of the warning messages to make it compatible with
PostGIS/MapServer applications that I'm using.

I'd prefer if someone could point out the source of the problem...I haven't
received any errors throughout the configure/make/install sequence, only with
the initdb command.  I don't understand the contents of the initdb script well
enough to figure it out on my own...

Thanks,
Mike

Quoting Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net>:

> Mike,
>
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:12:16PM -0500, Mike Leahy wrote:
> > I just compiled and installed PostgreSQL 7.4 on a cygwin/WinXP
> > platform.  When I try to run the initdb command, I get the results
> > below.  Has anyone had a similar problem, and/or does anyone know what
> > I should do to get around this?
>
> Use the pre-built version, if possible.
>
> Jason
>
> --
> PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
> Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D  8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

This mail sent through www.mywaterloo.ca

Re: INITDB error

From
"Mike Leahy"
Date:
All,

I'm not sure exactly what solved my problem, but I updated Cygwin and all of
the components I downloaded several months ago.  This included the
PostgreSQL 7.4 that was packaged with Cygwin, as opposed to the source
actually distributed from the PostgreSQL site.  I can only guess what the
problem was before (perhaps incompatibility with an earlier version of
Cygwin).  At any rate, it's gone now - I can compile and install the source
that came with Cygwin package I downloaded without any trouble.

Mike.

The bre-built version is not really an option in my case, since I need to
comment-out some of the warning messages to make it compatible with
PostGIS/MapServer applications that I'm using.

I'd prefer if someone could point out the source of the problem...I haven't
received any errors throughout the configure/make/install sequence, only
with
the initdb command.  I don't understand the contents of the initdb script
well
enough to figure it out on my own...

Thanks,
Mike

Quoting Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net>:

> Mike,
>
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:12:16PM -0500, Mike Leahy wrote:
> > I just compiled and installed PostgreSQL 7.4 on a cygwin/WinXP
> > platform.  When I try to run the initdb command, I get the results
> > below.  Has anyone had a similar problem, and/or does anyone know what
> > I should do to get around this?
>
> Use the pre-built version, if possible.
>
> Jason
>
> --
> PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
> Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D  8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: INITDB error

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Mike,

I'm glad you "solved" your problem...

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:12:16PM -0500, Mike Leahy wrote:
> previous newline style
> CONTEXT:  COPY tmp_pg_description, line 1542: ""
>
> initdb: failed

<WAG>
Maybe the above was caused by a text vs. binary mode configuration issue
that was "fixed" by updating your Cygwin installation?
</WAG>

Jason

Re: INITDB error

From
"Mike Leahy"
Date:
Jason,

That may very well be the case - I'm also wondering if there are differences
in the Cygwin-packaged PostgreSQL that deal with this.

I hope that didn't offend anyone by letting the list know what I did to get
this far.  Whatever the reason, my problem has been solved (with or without
quotes).  I wasn't trying to suggest I did anything particularly
spectacular, I just figured I'd just let the list know in case anyone else
runs into the same problem.

Regards,
Mike

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:12:16PM -0500, Mike Leahy wrote:
> previous newline style
> CONTEXT:  COPY tmp_pg_description, line 1542: ""
>
> initdb: failed

<WAG>
Maybe the above was caused by a text vs. binary mode configuration issue
that was "fixed" by updating your Cygwin installation?
</WAG>

Jason

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: INITDB error

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Mike,

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 05:51:59PM -0500, Mike Leahy wrote:
> That may very well be the case - I'm also wondering if there are
> differences in the Cygwin-packaged PostgreSQL that deal with this.

No.

> I hope that didn't offend anyone by letting the list know what I did
> to get this far.

Certainly not.  On the contrary, I appreciate you reporting back to the
list -- you saved me (and others) from possibly wasting their time
trying to help.

> Whatever the reason, my problem has been solved (with or without
> quotes).  I wasn't trying to suggest I did anything particularly
> spectacular, I just figured I'd just let the list know in case anyone
> else runs into the same problem.

I used quotes because until you know what you did to fix it, you
will be potentially vulnerable to this problem again in the future.
Unfortunately, I speak from experience... :,)

Jason

Re: INITDB error

From
Jean-Pierre Praz
Date:
hi

in my installation on cygwin/winXP there is exactly the same error. i
updated cygwin before installing postgres 7.4.1, so i don't know what more
i could update there. before i ran postgres 7.3.x without any troubles.

does anyone have an idea how to solve this?
any help or ideas are welcome.

thanks,
jean-pierre

Running in noclean mode.  Mistakes will not be cleaned up.
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "...".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory
/usr/src/postgresql-7.4-1/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data... ok
creating directory
/usr/src/postgresql-7.4-1/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/base... ok
creating directory
/usr/src/postgresql-7.4-1/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/global... ok
creating directory
/usr/src/postgresql-7.4-1/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory
/usr/src/postgresql-7.4-1/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 100
selecting default shared_buffers... 1000
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in
/usr/src/postgresql-7.4-1/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/base/1... ok
initializing pg_shadow... ok
enabling unlimited row size for system tables... ok
initializing pg_depend... ok
creating system views... ok
previous newline style
CONTEXT:  COPY tmp_pg_description, line 1542: ""

initdb: failed
initdb: data directory
"/usr/src/postgresql-7.4-1/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data" not removed
at user's request

Re: INITDB error

From
Mike Leahy
Date:
All,

I'm back to the same problem as well.  Just to be sure I reinstalled
everything to do with Cygwin (again), and now I get the same error.  I can't
even guess why it worked the first try, since I haven't done anything
different this second time.  Is there something we should be looking out for?

Mike

(sorry if I sent this twice)

[...]

Date:
All,

I think I figured out at least what I was doing wrong.  I wiped my Cygwin
folder and started from scratch (again), then reinstalled with the
setup.exe.  The only thing I did different this time was select the "UNIX"
text style option in the installer, and the initdb script works.  I've
always been using DOS style before, and it never caused a problem.

In my case, it wasn't a big deal to reinstall everything, but perhaps I
could have just changed one of the environment variables - I'm guessing
MAKE_MODE might be it, but I really have no clue and I don't see anything in
the installed docs about switching from dos to unix.

Mike

[...]

Date:
hi,

i finally got initdb with postgresql 7.4.1 on cygwin/winXP working for me:

i applied dos2unix (see: http://www.bastet.com/software/software.html, or:
http://www.bastet.com/software/UDDU.ZIP) on the file:

/usr/local/pgsql/share/postgres.description

without this there was always an error:
previous newline style

At 13:00 15.12.2003 -0500, Mike Leahy wrote:
>All,
>
>I think I figured out at least what I was doing wrong.  I wiped my Cygwin
>folder and started from scratch (again), then reinstalled with the
>setup.exe.  The only thing I did different this time was select the "UNIX"
>text style option in the installer, and the initdb script works.  I've
>always been using DOS style before, and it never caused a problem.
>
>In my case, it wasn't a big deal to reinstall everything, but perhaps I
>could have just changed one of the environment variables - I'm guessing
>MAKE_MODE might be it, but I really have no clue and I don't see anything in
>the installed docs about switching from dos to unix.
>
>Mike

Date:
Jean-Pierre,

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 02:55:03AM +0100, Jean-Pierre Praz wrote:
> i finally got initdb with postgresql 7.4.1 on cygwin/winXP working for
> me:
>
> i applied dos2unix (see: http://www.bastet.com/software/software.html,
> or: http://www.bastet.com/software/UDDU.ZIP) on the file:

BTW, Cygwin's cygutils package contains a dos2unix utility.

> /usr/local/pgsql/share/postgres.description
>
> without this there was always an error:
> previous newline style
> CONTEXT:  COPY tmp_pg_description, line 1542: ""

Sounds like you chose text mode mounts instead of binary ones...

Jason