Problem with installation

From
Jarosław Zabiełło
Date:
I have problems with running posgtresql under Cygwin. I get error at
the following step:

$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The program
    '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres'
needed by initdb does not belong to PostgreSQL version 7.2.2, or
there may be a configuration problem.

This was the error message issued by that program:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres: invalid current euid 500

What's going on here??

--
Jaroslaw Zabiello

Re: Problem with installation

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Jaroslaw,

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 11:49:26PM +0200, Jaros?aw Zabie??o wrote:
> This was the error message issued by that program:
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres: invalid current euid 500
>
> What's going on here??

You need to create or edit /etc/passwd and /etc/group so that your (or
the postgres user's) uid and gid are listed.

Please read the README:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.2.README

Jason

Re: Problem with installation

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Jaroslaw,

Please keep your replies on-list.

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 04:24:07AM +0200, Jaros?aw Zabie??o wrote:
> W pi?tek 4 pa?dziernika 2002 o godz. 19:04:13
> Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> napisa?(a):
>
> > Please read the README:
> >     http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.2.README
> > Jason
>
> Thanx! I have only two problems. I have no ssh server so I cannot
> login as posgres user. But I have winxp and I can switch among users.

OK, then just login as postgres.  Note that "su" via ssh is more
convenient -- assuming that you have already set up ssh.

> The problem is when I run inidb (section for service nt) I cannot
> finish this proces and my Athlon XP2000+ works with 100% all the time.
> I must kill this process. :(

Did you forget to start ipc-daemon?

> Second, I can connect to postgresql via psql but I cannot via ODBC
> driver because I do not know the correct login and password. psql do
> not ask for such things. Do postgresql has any default login and
> password?

The above is more appropriate to ask on the list.  I have never used
ODBC and hence, cannot help you without actually trying it myself...

Jason