HELP - Unable to start pgsql after window crashed

From
Vernon Wu
Date:
The Window 2000 crashed this morning for unknown reasons. After I restarted the OS, I can't start the pgSQL. I
reinstalled the pgSQL. It doesn' help. I guess a file is corrupted due to the OS crash. How can I bring pgSQL back to
life again?

Thanks in advince.

Here is the messages:

$ net start postmaster
The postmaster service is starting.
The postmaster service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

$ net helpmsg 3534

The service did not report an error.

EXPLANATION

The service did not report an error.

ACTION

Try the task later. If the problem persists, contact your network
administrator.

Re: HELP - Unable to start pgsql after window crashed

From
Vernon Wu
Date:
Can someone help me out from this problem, please!

Thanks.

7/3/2002 9:31:02 AM, Vernon Wu <vernonw@gatewaytech.com> wrote:

>The Window 2000 crashed this morning for unknown reasons. After I restarted the OS, I can't start the pgSQL. I
>reinstalled the pgSQL. It doesn' help. I guess a file is corrupted due to the OS crash. How can I bring pgSQL back to
>life again?
>
>Thanks in advince.
>

>Here is the messages:
>
>$ net start postmaster
>The postmaster service is starting.
>The postmaster service could not be started.
>
>The service did not report an error.
>
>More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.
>
>$ net helpmsg 3534
>
>The service did not report an error.
>

>EXPLANATION
>
>The service did not report an error.
>
>ACTION
>
>Try the task later. If the problem persists, contact your network
>administrator.

Re: HELP - Unable to start pgsql after window crashed

From
"Jean-Marc Paulin"
Date:
if I remember well, pgsql creates a postmaster.pid file that you need to
remove before you can restart pgsql.

HTH

JM

> The Window 2000 crashed this morning for unknown reasons. After I
restarted the OS, I can't start the pgSQL. I
> reinstalled the pgSQL. It doesn' help. I guess a file is corrupted due to
the OS crash. How can I bring pgSQL back to
> life again?
>
> Thanks in advince.
>

> Here is the messages:
>
> $ net start postmaster
> The postmaster service is starting.
> The postmaster service could not be started.
>
> The service did not report an error.
>
> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.
>
> $ net helpmsg 3534
>
> The service did not report an error.
>

> EXPLANATION
>
> The service did not report an error.
>
> ACTION
>
> Try the task later. If the problem persists, contact your network
> administrator.

Re: HELP - Unable to start pgsql after window crashed

From
Vernon Wu
Date:
Jean-Marc,

You're exactly right. After remove the file, I can start the pgSQL.

Thanks a lot.

Vernon