pgsql: Copyedit comments and documentation.

From
Noah Misch
Date:
Copyedit comments and documentation.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4ad6f13500cd9a3ca0652e43232f9515319e55e2

Modified Files
--------------
config/c-compiler.m4                      |  2 +-
contrib/pgstattuple/pgstatapprox.c        |  2 +-
doc/src/sgml/install-windows.sgml         |  2 +-
doc/src/sgml/release-9.3.sgml             |  2 +-
doc/src/sgml/xml2.sgml                    |  2 +-
src/backend/executor/execParallel.c       |  2 +-
src/backend/storage/buffer/README         | 12 ++++++------
src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c       |  4 ++--
src/backend/storage/freespace/freespace.c |  4 ++--
src/backend/storage/ipc/procarray.c       |  2 +-
src/backend/storage/lmgr/predicate.c      |  4 ++--
src/backend/storage/smgr/md.c             |  2 +-
src/backend/utils/adt/timestamp.c         |  2 +-
src/backend/utils/hash/dynahash.c         |  2 +-
src/pl/plperl/plperl.c                    |  2 +-
src/test/perl/TestLib.pm                  |  2 +-
src/tools/valgrind.supp                   |  2 +-

Re: pgsql: Copyedit comments and documentation.

From
David Rowley
Date:
On 2 April 2016 at 14:56, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> Copyedit comments and documentation.

> src/backend/storage/freespace/freespace.c |  4 ++--

- * Returns the physical block number an FSM page
+ * Returns the physical block number of a FSM page

I'm not sure I want to start a debate over such a trivial matter, so
if you think I'm wrong then I'll probably back down quickly.

I'd say that "an" was correct and "a" is wrong.

I'd pronounce "FSM" as "ef-es-em".  I can't really imagine an
alternative pronunciation for it.

It appears that the tender is still open on "a SQL" vs "an SQL", but
that'll likely be down to people pronouncing SQL as either
"es-que-el", or "squeal"

Date:
On 4 April 2016 at 10:55, David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> It appears that the tender is still open on "a SQL" vs "an SQL", but
> that'll likely be down to people pronouncing SQL as either
> "es-que-el", or "squeal"

Of course I mean "sequel".

Date:
On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:55:03AM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> On 2 April 2016 at 14:56, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> > Copyedit comments and documentation.

> > src/backend/storage/freespace/freespace.c |  4 ++--
>
> - * Returns the physical block number an FSM page
> + * Returns the physical block number of a FSM page
>
> I'm not sure I want to start a debate over such a trivial matter, so
> if you think I'm wrong then I'll probably back down quickly.
>
> I'd say that "an" was correct and "a" is wrong.
>
> I'd pronounce "FSM" as "ef-es-em".  I can't really imagine an
> alternative pronunciation for it.

As utterances, both "a free space map page" and "an ef es em page" seem
plausible to me.  I was there to fix the missing preposition.  Then, I
wondered about the article.  Finding that the other two examples in
freespace.c use "a FSM," I made this line match the majority.

Date:
On 4 April 2016 at 12:11, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:55:03AM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
>> On 2 April 2016 at 14:56, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
>> > Copyedit comments and documentation.

>> > src/backend/storage/freespace/freespace.c |  4 ++--
>>
>> - * Returns the physical block number an FSM page
>> + * Returns the physical block number of a FSM page
>>
>> I'm not sure I want to start a debate over such a trivial matter, so
>> if you think I'm wrong then I'll probably back down quickly.
>>
>> I'd say that "an" was correct and "a" is wrong.
>>
>> I'd pronounce "FSM" as "ef-es-em".  I can't really imagine an
>> alternative pronunciation for it.
>
> As utterances, both "a free space map page" and "an ef es em page" seem
> plausible to me.  I was there to fix the missing preposition.  Then, I
> wondered about the article.  Finding that the other two examples in
> freespace.c use "a FSM," I made this line match the majority.

That seems fair. Thanks for explaining.