Re: pgsql: Copyedit comments and documentation. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: pgsql: Copyedit comments and documentation.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:55:03AM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> On 2 April 2016 at 14:56, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> > Copyedit comments and documentation.

> > src/backend/storage/freespace/freespace.c |  4 ++--
>
> - * Returns the physical block number an FSM page
> + * Returns the physical block number of a FSM page
>
> I'm not sure I want to start a debate over such a trivial matter, so
> if you think I'm wrong then I'll probably back down quickly.
>
> I'd say that "an" was correct and "a" is wrong.
>
> I'd pronounce "FSM" as "ef-es-em".  I can't really imagine an
> alternative pronunciation for it.

As utterances, both "a free space map page" and "an ef es em page" seem
plausible to me.  I was there to fix the missing preposition.  Then, I
wondered about the article.  Finding that the other two examples in
freespace.c use "a FSM," I made this line match the majority.