pgsql: Reorder 9.3 release note items

Date:
Reorder 9.3 release note items

Typo fix from David Fetter.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ef3defcf0d507abb75d9e9696f11b44f4fc09291

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/release-9.3.sgml |  138 ++++++++++++++++++++---------------------

Re: pgsql: Reorder 9.3 release note items

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 21 April 2013 05:57, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> Reorder 9.3 release note items

A few corrections, additions and clarifications.

Corrections

* Allow recovery.conf to be relocated using configuration variable
recovery_config_directory
Patch was revoked...

* Need to mention the fast promote feature for standbys, which allows
us to skip shutdown checkpoint, reducing failover time from minutes to
seconds in busier databases

* Correct predicate locking for DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY - bugfix not a feature

* Allow CREATE TABLE to succeed for a non-existent schema - should say
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS in that para and the one below it

* Previously functions already run in the current session ignored
changes (what does that mean?? missing text)

* Improve memory usage for in-memory sorts - IMHO this should read
"Allow in-memory sorts to use their full memory allocation", which
then explains why users may see higher memory usage and why they
should think about altering settings

Additions

* I think it would be useful to say that pg_upgrade is now much faster
because of the aggregate effect of the individual optimisations
mentioned in the performance section.

* "Require superuser privileges to set commit_delay"
Meaning of commit_delay has changed and users should review their
settings, if used

* Add isolation tests for CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY - Abhijit Menon-Sen

More info required...

* Need to say why Pavan's work on VACUUM is related to performance

* Need to say what effect Andres' patch to make HOT work on catalog
tables will have

* "Restructure WAL files to use a more compact storage format" - begs
the question how much more compact?

* Restructure WAL files to better handle timeline changes during
recovery - need to explain "better"

Thanks

Re: pgsql: Reorder 9.3 release note items

Date:
OK, all changes made and committed.  Thanks.  (You can see the details
in the git commit.)

For this item:

    * Correct predicate locking for DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY -
    bugfix not a feature

did you have new text.  We do mention bug fixes.  I changed "Correct" to
"Fix" in a later commit.

Andres Freund
Date:
On 2013-04-21 09:06:51 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, all changes made and committed.  Thanks.  (You can see the details
> in the git commit.)
>
> For this item:
>
>     * Correct predicate locking for DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY -
>     bugfix not a feature
>
> did you have new text.  We do mention bug fixes.  I changed "Correct" to
> "Fix" in a later commit.

But we usually don't if they have been fixed in a previous point release
in the back branches, right?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: pgsql: Reorder 9.3 release note items

Date:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 03:09:19PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-04-21 09:06:51 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > OK, all changes made and committed.  Thanks.  (You can see the details
> > in the git commit.)
> >
> > For this item:
> >
> >     * Correct predicate locking for DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY -
> >     bugfix not a feature
> >
> > did you have new text.  We do mention bug fixes.  I changed "Correct" to
> > "Fix" in a later commit.
>
> But we usually don't if they have been fixed in a previous point release
> in the back branches, right?

Oh, that was backpatched?  OK, removed.

Date:
On 2013-04-21 04:57:22 +0000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Reorder 9.3 release note items
>
> Typo fix from David Fetter.
>
> Branch
> ------
> master
>
> Details
> -------
> http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ef3defcf0d507abb75d9e9696f11b44f4fc09291
>
> Modified Files

* Use a binary heap for Merge-Append operations (Abhijit Menon-Sen)
Implement a generic binary heap and use it for Merge-Append operations
which previously used a ad-hoc version.

* Dramatically reduce System V shared memory usage (Robert Haas)
s/eleminates/reduces/ in "This eliminates the requirement of increasing
System V shared memory kernel parameters.". There are still quite some
usecases where some of those need to be touched.

* Improve performance of streaming replication log shipping
... with synchronous_commit = off

* Store WAL in a continuous stream, rather than skipping the last 16MB
segment every 4GB (Heikki Linnakangas)
Should be marked as a potential backward compatibility break, some tools
might need to adapt their logic.

* Add IF NOT EXISTS clause to CREATE SCHEMA (Fabrízio de Royes Mello)
another broken name :(

* Add pg_dump --jobs to dump in parallel (Joachim Wieland)

Should we mention that this is only working for directory mode dumps?
Some users might be a bit confused otherwise.

* Add infrastructure to better support plug-in background worker processes
(Álvaro Herrera)
... configurable via shared_preload_libraries

* Split out WAL reading as an independent facility
Should mention Heikki as primary author instead of me.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: pgsql: Reorder 9.3 release note items

Date:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 03:22:38PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> * Use a binary heap for Merge-Append operations (Abhijit Menon-Sen)
> Implement a generic binary heap and use it for Merge-Append operations
> which previously used a ad-hoc version.

OK, text updated to:

        Implement a generic binary heap and use it for Merge-Append
        operations (Abhijit Menon-Sen)

> * Dramatically reduce System V shared memory usage (Robert Haas)
> s/eleminates/reduces/ in "This eliminates the requirement of increasing
> System V shared memory kernel parameters.". There are still quite some
> usecases where some of those need to be touched.

Well, you still might need to increase the number of semaphors, but not
shared memory.

> * Improve performance of streaming replication log shipping
> ... with synchronous_commit = off

New text is, based on Simon's request about adding failover speedup:

        Improve performance of streaming replication log shipping and
        standby promotion (Andres Freund, Simon Riggs)

It is worth breaking those out into two items?

> * Store WAL in a continuous stream, rather than skipping the last 16MB
> segment every 4GB (Heikki Linnakangas)
> Should be marked as a potential backward compatibility break, some tools
> might need to adapt their logic.

OK, added a marker about that.

> * Add IF NOT EXISTS clause to CREATE SCHEMA (Fabrízio de Royes Mello)
> another broken name :(

Fixed (found mention in 9.2 release notes with SGML entities).

> * Add pg_dump --jobs to dump in parallel (Joachim Wieland)
>
> Should we mention that this is only working for directory mode dumps?
> Some users might be a bit confused otherwise.

Yes, added mention.

> * Add infrastructure to better support plug-in background worker processes
> (Álvaro Herrera)
> ... configurable via shared_preload_libraries

I am going to link to our docs so they can see such details.

> * Split out WAL reading as an independent facility
> Should mention Heikki as primary author instead of me.

Done.

Changes applied.

Re: pgsql: Reorder 9.3 release note items

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> * Improve memory usage for in-memory sorts - IMHO this should read
> "Allow in-memory sorts to use their full memory allocation", which
> then explains why users may see higher memory usage and why they
> should think about altering settings

+1. As I believe you pointed out at the time of the development of
this feature, it has the potential to greatly increase the amount of
memory allocated by tuplesort, but only within the actual bounds
specified by the DBA. There needs to be a clear warning of that - it's
easy to imagine that DBAs are specifying a high value of work_mem to
compensate for the previous implementation's tendency to under
provision.

> * "Require superuser privileges to set commit_delay"
> Meaning of commit_delay has changed and users should review their
> settings, if used

+1

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date:
On 21 April 2013 15:09, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> New text is, based on Simon's request about adding failover speedup:
>
>         Improve performance of streaming replication log shipping and
>         standby promotion (Andres Freund, Simon Riggs)

Um, it's hard to see how that text relates to what I requested.

It's an important thing for High Availability that failover is now
fast; a feature we have been waiting for some time. The point is not
that the performance is improved, the point is we can now achieve 5
nines availability, whereas before we couldn't.

> It is worth breaking those out into two items?

Yes, they are completely unrelated.

Re: pgsql: Reorder 9.3 release note items

Date:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 08:22:38PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 21 April 2013 15:09, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> > New text is, based on Simon's request about adding failover speedup:
> >
> >         Improve performance of streaming replication log shipping and
> >         standby promotion (Andres Freund, Simon Riggs)
>
> Um, it's hard to see how that text relates to what I requested.
>
> It's an important thing for High Availability that failover is now
> fast; a feature we have been waiting for some time. The point is not
> that the performance is improved, the point is we can now achieve 5
> nines availability, whereas before we couldn't.
>
> > It is worth breaking those out into two items?
>
> Yes, they are completely unrelated.

OK, new text:

      <listitem>
       <para>
        Improve performance of non-synchronous streaming log shipping (Andres Freund)
       </para>
      </listitem>

      <listitem>
       <para>
        Allow much faster fail-over to a standby server (Simon Riggs)
       </para>
      </listitem>

Date:
On 2013-04-21 21:04:17 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 08:22:38PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On 21 April 2013 15:09, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> > > New text is, based on Simon's request about adding failover speedup:
> > >
> > >         Improve performance of streaming replication log shipping and
> > >         standby promotion (Andres Freund, Simon Riggs)
> >
> > Um, it's hard to see how that text relates to what I requested.
> >
> > It's an important thing for High Availability that failover is now
> > fast; a feature we have been waiting for some time. The point is not
> > that the performance is improved, the point is we can now achieve 5
> > nines availability, whereas before we couldn't.
> >
> > > It is worth breaking those out into two items?
> >
> > Yes, they are completely unrelated.
>
> OK, new text:
>
>       <listitem>
>        <para>
>         Improve performance of non-synchronous streaming log shipping (Andres Freund)
>        </para>
>       </listitem>

Its about synchronous_commit = off of which is more than just
non-synchronous replication. How about
* Greatly reduce replication delay in streaming replication when
  synchronous_commit=off (or asynchronous commits) are used locally

>       <listitem>
>        <para>
>         Allow much faster fail-over to a standby server (Simon Riggs)
>        </para>
>       </listitem>

I think this should also mention Kyotaro Horiguchi
(c.f. fd4ced5230162b50a5c9d33b4bf9cfb1231aa62e)

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: pgsql: Reorder 9.3 release note items

Date:
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:15:58AM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> >       <listitem>
> >        <para>
> >         Improve performance of non-synchronous streaming log shipping (Andres Freund)
> >        </para>
> >       </listitem>
>
> Its about synchronous_commit = off of which is more than just
> non-synchronous replication. How about
> * Greatly reduce replication delay in streaming replication when
>   synchronous_commit=off (or asynchronous commits) are used locally
>

> >       <listitem>
> >        <para>
> >         Allow much faster fail-over to a standby server (Simon Riggs)
> >        </para>
> >       </listitem>
>
> I think this should also mention Kyotaro Horiguchi
> (c.f. fd4ced5230162b50a5c9d33b4bf9cfb1231aa62e)

Thanks, updated:

        Improve performance of streaming log shipping with
        synchronous_commit disabled (Andres Freund)

        Allow much faster promotion of a streaming standby to primary (Simon
        Riggs, Kyotaro Horiguchi)