Re: pgsql: Reorder 9.3 release note items - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pgsql: Reorder 9.3 release note items
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 03:22:38PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> * Use a binary heap for Merge-Append operations (Abhijit Menon-Sen)
> Implement a generic binary heap and use it for Merge-Append operations
> which previously used a ad-hoc version.

OK, text updated to:

        Implement a generic binary heap and use it for Merge-Append
        operations (Abhijit Menon-Sen)

> * Dramatically reduce System V shared memory usage (Robert Haas)
> s/eleminates/reduces/ in "This eliminates the requirement of increasing
> System V shared memory kernel parameters.". There are still quite some
> usecases where some of those need to be touched.

Well, you still might need to increase the number of semaphors, but not
shared memory.

> * Improve performance of streaming replication log shipping
> ... with synchronous_commit = off

New text is, based on Simon's request about adding failover speedup:

        Improve performance of streaming replication log shipping and
        standby promotion (Andres Freund, Simon Riggs)

It is worth breaking those out into two items?

> * Store WAL in a continuous stream, rather than skipping the last 16MB
> segment every 4GB (Heikki Linnakangas)
> Should be marked as a potential backward compatibility break, some tools
> might need to adapt their logic.

OK, added a marker about that.

> * Add IF NOT EXISTS clause to CREATE SCHEMA (Fabrízio de Royes Mello)
> another broken name :(

Fixed (found mention in 9.2 release notes with SGML entities).

> * Add pg_dump --jobs to dump in parallel (Joachim Wieland)
>
> Should we mention that this is only working for directory mode dumps?
> Some users might be a bit confused otherwise.

Yes, added mention.

> * Add infrastructure to better support plug-in background worker processes
> (Álvaro Herrera)
> ... configurable via shared_preload_libraries

I am going to link to our docs so they can see such details.

> * Split out WAL reading as an independent facility
> Should mention Heikki as primary author instead of me.

Done.

Changes applied.