Request to PostgreSQL core

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Hello everybody,

I think we have agreed that some extentions/hooks need to be
implemented in PostgreSQL core. I don't remember where is the list,
but I'm very interested in some of them, especially parser API.

How do we proceed? Maybe start discussions and build RFCs inside this
list?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Request to PostgreSQL core

From
Koichi Suzuki
Date:
I'm now summerizing API list, as well as other discussions in the
meeting.   I'll post this soon.

Tatsuo Ishii さんは書きました:

--
Koichi Suzuki
NTT DATA Intellilink Corporation

Date:
> A wiki page addreses the topic.
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ClusterFeatures
>
> This page reproduces almost exactly the discussion in the meeting.
> I only notice a minor mistake: voting to "Global deadlock detection" was 8.

Great. I wonder why:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Clustering

does not have a link to it.

Date:

--
Hitoshi HEMMI
NTT Open Source Software Center
hemmi.hitoshi@oss.ntt.co.jp
Tel:(03)5860-5100
Fax:(03)5463-5491

Re: Request to PostgreSQL core

From
Koichi Suzuki
Date:
Sorry, I dind't know the page.

Added a link to the page from the meeting page,
Clustering -> PGCon2009JapanClusterDeveloperMeeting -> ClusterFeatures

Tatsuo Ishii さんは書きました:

--
Koichi Suzuki
NTT DATA Intellilink Corporation

Re: Request to PostgreSQL core

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Thanks but I think the link should directly point from Clustering ->
ClusterFeatures since the clustering page is the "central page" for
clustering discussions.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

> Sorry, I dind't know the page.
>
> Added a link to the page from the meeting page,
> Clustering -> PGCon2009JapanClusterDeveloperMeeting -> ClusterFeatures
>
> Tatsuo Ishii さんは書きました:
> >> A wiki page addreses the topic.
> >> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ClusterFeatures
> >>
> >> This page reproduces almost exactly the discussion in the meeting.
> >> I only notice a minor mistake: voting to "Global deadlock detection" was 8.
> >
> > Great. I wonder why:
> >
> > http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Clustering
> >
> > does not have a link to it.
> >
> >> -hemmi
> >>

> >> Koichi Suzuki さんは書きました:

> >> --
> >> Hitoshi HEMMI
> >> NTT Open Source Software Center
> >> hemmi.hitoshi@oss.ntt.co.jp
> >> Tel:(03)5860-5100
> >> Fax:(03)5463-5491
> >>

> --
> Koichi Suzuki
> NTT DATA Intellilink Corporation

Re: Request to PostgreSQL core

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Koichi Suzuki wrote:
> Added a link to the page from the meeting page,
> Clustering -> PGCon2009JapanClusterDeveloperMeeting -> ClusterFeatures

There already was one, so now there's two, which is fine--you put it in
a better place anyway.

The main "Clustering" page seems like it has more of a user-level feel
to it, something we could point non-developers who want to know more
about clustering to. I didn't link the ClusterFeatures page to appearing
directly on it when I was adding cross-links to a lot of those pages
because it's really not aimed at those people at all. I didn't want
users to get confused if they landed on that quite complicated page
thinking it was something they had to read. Linking from the developer
meeting seemed sufficient.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com

Date:
> The main "Clustering" page seems like it has more of a user-level feel
> to it, something we could point non-developers who want to know more

Is it? Why do we have a link to
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cluster-hackers/ on the page
then?

I don't know if the page is intended for "user-level" or not, but we
should have "developer-level" page somewhere anyway. That was one of
the conclusions of the meeting IMO.
--

Date:
2009/12/9 Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp>:
>> The main "Clustering" page seems like it has more of a user-level feel
>> to it, something we could point non-developers who want to know more
>
> Is it? Why do we have a link to
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cluster-hackers/ on the page
> then?
>
> I don't know if the page is intended for "user-level" or not, but we
> should have "developer-level" page somewhere anyway. That was one of
> the conclusions of the meeting IMO.

+1.   I thought  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Clustering is for
developers.   As we discussed, we have handful of cluster projects and
is important to start understand each other and find what we can work
together.   This page can be a start.

Date:
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> I don't know if the page is intended for "user-level" or not, but we
> should have "developer-level" page somewhere anyway. That was one of
> the conclusions of the meeting IMO.

To quote from
http://www.chesnok.com/daily/2009/11/19/cluster-developer-meeting-recap/
, written by Selena who created the wiki page we're talking about:

"Our first milestone as a group is to create a detailed matrix of
features to help users more easily navigate between the different
solutions."

The page created for that work, to help users, is
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Clustering .  As an example of how it
was drifting off-topic,  the section there someone added the link to
against my warning was named "Existing Overview Docs"  In no way is the
proposed new API page an overview document; the link just doesn't belong
there.

I just sorted all this out.  We now have:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Clustering

for continuing to work on the user-level documentation, and:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Clustering_Development_Projects

to track the development efforts.  I also linked both pages properly
into the rest of the wiki so people are more likely to find them when
browsing.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Request to PostgreSQL core

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 12/8/09 7:41 PM, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I think we have agreed that some extentions/hooks need to be
> implemented in PostgreSQL core. I don't remember where is the list,
> but I'm very interested in some of them, especially parser API.
>
> How do we proceed? Maybe start discussions and build RFCs inside this
> list?

I have us on the schedule for the Developer Summit in May (at pgCon).
So if we can have a list of items to discuss by then, it would be great.

--Josh Berkus