BUG #13664: pg_restore fails with -j parameter when restoring 9.1 db onto 9.5 alpha db

From
slava@cloudflare.com
Date:

Bug reference:      13664
Logged by:          slava moudry
Email address:      slava@cloudflare.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.5alpha2
Operating system:   Linux ubuntu 3.8.0-33-generic #48~precise1-Ubuntu

I am trying to restore 9.1 dump into new 9.5 database.
pg_restore seems to hang indefinitely (not doing anything) when I set number
of jobs: "-j 4".
works fine if skipping "-j" setting. On same machine, 9.1 restores fine on
same host.
pg_restore is done intoSQL_ASCII database.
slava@cloudflare.com writes:
> I am trying to restore 9.1 dump into new 9.5 database.
> pg_restore seems to hang indefinitely (not doing anything) when I set number
> of jobs: "-j 4".
> works fine if skipping "-j" setting. On same machine, 9.1 restores fine on
> same host.

Impossible to do anything with this report with that much detail.
Can you look into pg_stat_activity to see what the pg_restore jobs
are doing when activity ceases?  Can you show us the declarations
of the tables or other objects they're working on?

            regards, tom lane
can't reproduce.. was able to restore with "-j 4" from 9.1
probably weird connection issue that caused pg_dump to stuck. I was using
samsung usb3 ssd, so could be hardware related.
thank you.
-slava.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> slava@cloudflare.com writes:
> > I am trying to restore 9.1 dump into new 9.5 database.
> > pg_restore seems to hang indefinitely (not doing anything) when I set
> number
> > of jobs: "-j 4".
> > works fine if skipping "-j" setting. On same machine, 9.1 restores fine
> on
> > same host.
>
> Impossible to do anything with this report with that much detail.
> Can you look into pg_stat_activity to see what the pg_restore jobs
> are doing when activity ceases?  Can you show us the declarations
> of the tables or other objects they're working on?

-Slava