Re: [GENERAL] Need guidance on regression.diffs

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 10/28/2014 02:21 AM, Romu Hu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to postgresql.  I ran the regression tests
> <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/regress-run.html> on my
> postgresql 9.2.8, and 17 of 131 tests failed. Below is the
> regression.diffs (sorry for pasting such a long file), I have no clue
> whether these failures can be safely ignored.  Any guidance would be
> appreciated.

Did you run this  against the temporary installation as in section

30.1.1. Running the Tests Against a Temporary Installation

or

30.1.2. Running the Tests Against an Existing Installation?

In particular if running against an existing installation, is it
possible you ran against a different version of Postgres then 9.2.8?

This could happen if you have the env variables  PGHOST and PGPORT set
to another Postgres instance.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Need guidance on regression.diffs

From
Romu Hu
Date:
On 2014/10/29 3:58, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 10/28/2014 02:21 AM, Romu Hu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to postgresql.  I ran the regression tests
>> <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/regress-run.html> on my
>> postgresql 9.2.8, and 17 of 131 tests failed. Below is the
>> regression.diffs (sorry for pasting such a long file), I have no clue
>> whether these failures can be safely ignored.  Any guidance would be
>> appreciated.
>>

> Did you run this  against the temporary installation as in section
>
> 30.1.1. Running the Tests Against a Temporary Installation
>
> or
>
> 30.1.2. Running the Tests Against an Existing Installation?
>
> In particular if running against an existing installation, is it
> possible you ran against a different version of Postgres then 9.2.8?
>
> This could happen if you have the env variables  PGHOST and PGPORT set
> to another Postgres instance.

I ran the test against an existing installation (redhat enterprise linux
software collection postgresql92).  The postgres server and the tests
are from the same source package.

Thanks
Romu

Re: [GENERAL] Need guidance on regression.diffs

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Romu Hu <huruomu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ran the test against an existing installation (redhat enterprise linux
> software collection postgresql92).  The postgres server and the tests are
> from the same source package.
Well, your diffs are telling us the contrary. The additional columns
of \d+ have been added by this commit which is a new feature of
Postgres 9.4, introduced by this commit:

commit: 4168c00a5d9c0c0c17cdfc902587b6d22ea1720f
author: Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 13:28:54 -0400
psql: conditionally display oids and replication identity

In psql \d+, display oids only when they exist, and display replication
identity only when it is non-default.  Also document the defaults for
replication identity for system and non-system tables.  Update
regression output.

So you may be indeed running the tests on a 9.2 server, but what is
sure is that you are comparing the results with the regression output
of a 9.4 server.
Michael

Re: [GENERAL] Need guidance on regression.diffs

Date:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Romu Hu <huruomu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I ran the test against an existing installation (redhat enterprise linux
>> software collection postgresql92).  The postgres server and the tests are
>> from the same source package.

> Well, your diffs are telling us the contrary.

Yeah, this is definitely some kind of version skew problem.

> So you may be indeed running the tests on a 9.2 server, but what is
> sure is that you are comparing the results with the regression output
> of a 9.4 server.

No, that's not quite right I think.  I can't find anything in a quick
look that is clearly different server behavior.  There are a bunch of
differences in output of \d commands, and a bunch of different formatting
of query results containing newlines, but both of those things are on
psql's head not the server's.  The psql being used is clearly older than
9.0, which is where the display of newlines changed.  I'd bet on it being
the 8.4.something version shipped by Red Hat with their regular RHEL6
postgresql package.

I managed to leave Red Hat before they shipped any of those "software
collections" packages, but when I was there I was pretty unimpressed
with that packaging technology.  You have to use the packages just so
or things fall apart, because for example their programs aren't in the
system default PATH.  I think something like that happened here:
somehow or other the test process is invoking /usr/bin/psql and not
the psql included in the software-collections PG package.

Take a close re-read of the documentation for the software-collections
PG package and see if you missed a setup setup (scenable or whatever it
was called), or maybe they have a special recipe for running the
regression tests.  If you can't find anything, file a bug with Red Hat
(not us), to the effect that their regression test packaging is either
broken or underdocumented.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 2014/10/29 11:23, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Romu Hu <huruomu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I ran the test against an existing installation (redhat enterprise linux
>>> software collection postgresql92).  The postgres server and the tests are
>>> from the same source package.
>> Well, your diffs are telling us the contrary.
> Yeah, this is definitely some kind of version skew problem.
>
>> So you may be indeed running the tests on a 9.2 server, but what is
>> sure is that you are comparing the results with the regression output
>> of a 9.4 server.
> No, that's not quite right I think.  I can't find anything in a quick
> look that is clearly different server behavior.  There are a bunch of
> differences in output of \d commands, and a bunch of different formatting
> of query results containing newlines, but both of those things are on
> psql's head not the server's.  The psql being used is clearly older than
> 9.0, which is where the display of newlines changed.  I'd bet on it being
> the 8.4.something version shipped by Red Hat with their regular RHEL6
> postgresql package.

You are right, the test was using /usr/bin/psql from RHEL6
postgresql-8.4.20 package, hence the diffs.  I removed postgresql-8.4.20
and reran the regression tests from the postgresql92 software
collection, it failed the run because it couldn't find /usr/bin/psql, I
linked /opt/rh/postgresql92/root/usr/bin/psql to /usr/bin/psql and all
regression passed.

Thanks
Romu