Re: [BUGS] Need guidance on regression.diffs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] Need guidance on regression.diffs
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Romu Hu <huruomu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I ran the test against an existing installation (redhat enterprise linux
>> software collection postgresql92).  The postgres server and the tests are
>> from the same source package.

> Well, your diffs are telling us the contrary.

Yeah, this is definitely some kind of version skew problem.

> So you may be indeed running the tests on a 9.2 server, but what is
> sure is that you are comparing the results with the regression output
> of a 9.4 server.

No, that's not quite right I think.  I can't find anything in a quick
look that is clearly different server behavior.  There are a bunch of
differences in output of \d commands, and a bunch of different formatting
of query results containing newlines, but both of those things are on
psql's head not the server's.  The psql being used is clearly older than
9.0, which is where the display of newlines changed.  I'd bet on it being
the 8.4.something version shipped by Red Hat with their regular RHEL6
postgresql package.

I managed to leave Red Hat before they shipped any of those "software
collections" packages, but when I was there I was pretty unimpressed
with that packaging technology.  You have to use the packages just so
or things fall apart, because for example their programs aren't in the
system default PATH.  I think something like that happened here:
somehow or other the test process is invoking /usr/bin/psql and not
the psql included in the software-collections PG package.

Take a close re-read of the documentation for the software-collections
PG package and see if you missed a setup setup (scenable or whatever it
was called), or maybe they have a special recipe for running the
regression tests.  If you can't find anything, file a bug with Red Hat
(not us), to the effect that their regression test packaging is either
broken or underdocumented.

            regards, tom lane