BUG #9424: Database size increased by 10MB everyday

From
tejaswinihj24@yahoo.co.in
Date:

Bug reference:      9424
Logged by:          Tejaswini
Email address:      tejaswinihj24@yahoo.co.in
PostgreSQL version: 9.2.5
Operating system:   Windows

I am using Windows 2008 R2 and PostgreSQL 9.2.5

Each day, the DB backup is increased by about 10 MB. On
investigation, it was discovered that table size of one table used by the
application is increasing on daily basis by about 60MB. It appears
that that the formula / expression queue cleanup job that is scheduled
for every half an hour is not running properly.

Re: BUG #9424: Database size increased by 10MB everyday

From
Tomas Vondra
Date:
Hi Tejaswini,

On 3.3.2014 16:48, tejaswinihj24@yahoo.co.in wrote:

> Bug reference:      9424
> Logged by:          Tejaswini
> Email address:      tejaswinihj24@yahoo.co.in
> PostgreSQL version: 9.2.5
> Operating system:   Windows
>
> I am using Windows 2008 R2 and PostgreSQL 9.2.5
>
> Each day, the DB backup is increased by about 10 MB. On

So what kind of backup are you performing? Are you using pg_dump or
performing filesystem backup (i.e. copying the files)?

> investigation, it was discovered that table size of one table used by
> the application is increasing on daily basis by about 60MB. It
> appears that that the formula / expression queue cleanup job that is
> scheduled for every half an hour is not running properly.

What do you mean by "formula / expression queue cleanup job"? There's no
such thing in PostgreSQL, scheduled for every half hour.

regards
Tomas

Re: BUG #9424: Database size increased by 10MB everyday

From
Venkata Balaji Nagothi
> I am using Windows 2008 R2 and PostgreSQL 9.2.5
>
> Each day, the DB backup is increased by about 10 MB. On
> investigation, it was discovered that table size of one table used by the
> application is increasing on daily basis by about 60MB. It appears
> that that the formula / expression queue cleanup job that is scheduled
> for every half an hour is not running properly.

Could you help us know what kind of activity the said table is subjected to
in much more detail ?

Does the clean-up job mean that you have scheduled a job to clean-up some
archival/in-active data ? or is it a some kind of maintenance job ?

Table size can grow for different reasons - it could be Bloats, Toast etc.

Regards,
Venkata Balaji N

Fujitsu Australia