Duplicate key violates unique constraint

From
Umesh Kirdat
Date:
Hello All,=0A=A0=0AI have been using pg_dump/pg_restore to backup and resto=
re the database in our product for quite sometime.=0AOne of our customers r=
eported an issue with multiple entries for a field marked as primary key.=
=0A=A0=0AAfter investigation of the logs we found the multiple entires were=
 created during pg_restore and the primary key constraint on the field coul=
d not be created due to unique constraint violation.=0A=A0=0AAfter searchin=
g on internet I came across the Postgres BUG 8382 & 3231 & 7760 reported in=
 the past for this issue.=0A=A0=0AThe Postgres version on which the issue w=
as reported is 8.2.2=0AWe have upgraded our Postgres version to 9.0.4 in th=
e current product release and I would like to know whether the issue in dis=
cussion is fixed in Postgres 9.0.4?=0A=A0=0AThank you,=0AUmesh Kirdat

Re: Duplicate key violates unique constraint

From
Greg Stark
Date:
On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Umesh Kirdat <umesh.kirdat@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The Postgres version on which the issue was reported is 8.2.2
> We have upgraded our Postgres version to 9.0.4 in the current product
> release and I would like to know whether the issue in discussion is fixed in
> Postgres 9.0.4?

When there's any sort of, thankfully rare, corruption bug the symptom
which people first notice is often duplicate primary keys. So your
question is really whether 9.0.4 is free of any (known) corruption
bugs.

For what it's worth the current release for the 9.0 major version is
9.0 is 9.0.15. There are over 2 1/2 years of bug fixes between 9.0.4
and 9.0.15 including some corruption bugs which could possibly
introduce duplicate rows. Also including one major security fix for
CVE-2013-1899.

--
greg

Re: Duplicate key violates unique constraint

From
Umesh Kirdat
Date:
Thank you Greg for the response.=0A=A0=0AOur management wants to know wheth=
er the bugs 8382 & 3231 & 7760=A0are fixed in 9.0.15 before we decide to up=
grade from 9.0.4 version to 9.0.15.=0A=A0=0AIt would be helpful to convienc=
e our customers who has reported the issue.=0A=A0=0AThank you,=0AUmesh=0A=
=0A=0A=0AOn Saturday, 21 December 2013 6:42 AM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> =
wrote:=0A  =0AOn Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Umesh Kirdat <umesh.kirdat@=
yahoo.com> wrote:=0A=0A> The Postgres version on which the issue was report=
ed is 8.2.2=0A> We have upgraded our Postgres version to 9.0.4 in the curre=
nt product=0A> release and I would like to know whether the issue in discus=
sion is fixed in=0A> Postgres 9.0.4?=0A=0A=0AWhen there's any sort of, than=
kfully rare, corruption bug the symptom=0Awhich people first notice is ofte=
n duplicate primary keys. So your=0Aquestion is really whether 9.0.4 is fre=
e of any (known) corruption=0Abugs.=0A=0AFor what it's worth the current re=
lease for the=0A 9.0 major version is=0A9.0 is 9.0.15. There are over 2 1/2=
 years of bug fixes between 9.0.4=0Aand 9.0.15 including some corruption bu=
gs which could possibly=0Aintroduce duplicate rows. Also including one majo=
r security fix for=0ACVE-2013-1899.=0A=0A=0A=0A-- =0Agreg