BUG #8583: I can't install this product

From
gladchenkoigor@hotmail.com
Date:

Bug reference:      8583
Logged by:          Igor Gladchenko
Email address:      gladchenkoigor@hotmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.3.1
Operating system:   Windows XP SP3

 can't install this product. When I run setup I get the following message:
"There has been an error.
Unable to write inside the TEMP environment variable path".
I have the following environment variables: Temp=C:\Temp
Tmp=C:\Tmp.
What to do?

Re: BUG #8583: I can't install this product

From
Francisco Olarte
Date:
On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM,  <gladchenkoigor@hotmail.com> wrote:
>  can't install this product. When I run setup I get the following message:
> "There has been an error.
> Unable to write inside the TEMP environment variable path".
> I have the following environment variables: Temp=C:\Temp
> Tmp=C:\Tmp.
> What to do?

I abandoned windows due to xp, but I will suggest you test a couple of things:

1.- Do the directories c:\Tmp and c:\Temp exist, and are they world-writable?

2.- Are windows environment variables case sensitive? ( I do not
remeber how the cmd shell used env vars, I think you can test it using
somethhing like SET a=1, SET A=2, echo %a, echo %A ). If they are you
will need TEMP.

I cannot suggest many more things, but it seems more like pilot error
than a bug. Maybe an installer bug, but I think people who knows it
would need at least to know which installer you are using, I think
there are more than one for windows. I'll suggest you read
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/bug-reporting.html and
try to give some more details.

Francisco Olarte.

Re: BUG #8583: I can't install this product

From
Sandeep Thakkar
Date:
Hi

Is the user that is installing the product has Admin rights?

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM, <gladchenkoigor@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      8583
> Logged by:          Igor Gladchenko
> Email address:      gladchenkoigor@hotmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.3.1
> Operating system:   Windows XP SP3
>
>  can't install this product. When I run setup I get the following message:
> "There has been an error.
> Unable to write inside the TEMP environment variable path".
> I have the following environment variables: Temp=C:\Temp
> Tmp=C:\Tmp.
> What to do?

Sandeep Thakkar

Re: BUG #8583: I can't install this product

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 11/7/2013 9:43 AM, Francisco Olarte wrote:
> 1.- Do the directories c:\Tmp and c:\Temp exist, and are they world-writable?

I might note, neither of those directories exist by default.

my win7 system has TEMP set to C:\Users\pierce\AppData\Local\Temp
I'm not sure anything uses TMP anymore.