BUG #6721: installation of PostgreSQL prevented WebServer Start

From
peter.arnold@jd-ag.com
Date:

Bug reference:      6721
Logged by:          Peter Arnold
Email address:      peter.arnold@jd-ag.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.8
Operating system:   MAC OSX

after i install PostgreSQL 9.0.8 on my MAC with OSX 10.7.4 the WEBSERVER is
no more able to start. The information about why seems to be:
1. MAC-Webserver is compiled against a libssl.dylib version 0.8.9,
PostgreSQL changed this to 1.0.0
2. the libpq.5.dylib is deletet by PostgreSQL and linked to an own lib in
the PostgreSQL installation

It seems, that the PostgreSQL-Help will be involved.

Is the problem known, and is ther a solution?

With kind regards

Peter

Re: BUG #6721: installation of PostgreSQL prevented WebServer Start

From
Dave Page
> after i install PostgreSQL 9.0.8 on my MAC with OSX 10.7.4 the WEBSERVER is
> no more able to start. The information about why seems to be:
> 1. MAC-Webserver is compiled against a libssl.dylib version 0.8.9,
> PostgreSQL changed this to 1.0.0
> 2. the libpq.5.dylib is deletet by PostgreSQL and linked to an own lib in
> the PostgreSQL installation

Where did your PostgreSQL distribution come from? The EDB installers
certainly won't delete the system libpq, or upgrade the system's copy
of libssl.dylib (unless you install it in the root directory of
course, which is definitely not recommended!)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM,  <peter.arnold@jd-ag.com> wrote:
>> The following bug has been logged on the website:
>>
>> Bug reference:      6721
>> Logged by:          Peter Arnold
>> Email address:      peter.arnold@jd-ag.com
>> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.8
>> Operating system:   MAC OSX
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> after i install PostgreSQL 9.0.8 on my MAC with OSX 10.7.4 the WEBSERVER is
>> no more able to start. The information about why seems to be:
>> 1. MAC-Webserver is compiled against a libssl.dylib version 0.8.9,
>> PostgreSQL changed this to 1.0.0
>> 2. the libpq.5.dylib is deletet by PostgreSQL and linked to an own lib in
>> the PostgreSQL installation
>
> Where did your PostgreSQL distribution come from? The EDB installers
> certainly won't delete the system libpq, or upgrade the system's copy
> of libssl.dylib (unless you install it in the root directory of
> course, which is definitely not recommended!)

One of my colleagues has just pointed out that there's some very old
(i.e. 2008) code in the installer that creates a symlink from
/usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib to the installed copy. This was safe of course
(though not the best idea I ever had), prior to Lion.

You should be able to put that back how it was by simply replacing the
symlink with one pointing to /usr/lib/libpq.5.3.dylib.

Apologies for the misinformation. We'll get that bug fixed ASAP.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #6721: installation of PostgreSQL prevented WebServer Start

From
Peter Arnold
Date:
Hi Dave,

my distribution comes from

http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#osx.=20

meanwhile we installed Postgres 8.4.12=20
and changed the link from /usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib  to  /usr/lib/libpq.5.3.dy=
lib
and both, postgeSQL and Webserver are working.

Is it a good Idea to change to PostgreSQL 9.1.x?

> after i install PostgreSQL 9.0.8 on my MAC with OSX 10.7.4 the=20
> WEBSERVER is no more able to start. The information about why seems to be:
> 1. MAC-Webserver is compiled against a libssl.dylib version 0.8.9,=20
> PostgreSQL changed this to 1.0.0 2. the libpq.5.dylib is deletet by=20
> PostgreSQL and linked to an own lib in the PostgreSQL installation

Where did your PostgreSQL distribution come from? The EDB installers certai=
nly won't delete the system libpq, or upgrade the system's copy of libssl.d=
ylib (unless you install it in the root directory of course, which is defin=
itely not recommended!)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Comp=
any

Date:
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Peter Arnold <Peter.Arnold@jd-ag.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> my distribution comes from
>
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#osx.
>
> meanwhile we installed Postgres 8.4.12
> and changed the link from /usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib  to  /usr/lib/libpq.5.3.dylib
> and both, postgeSQL and Webserver are working.
>
> Is it a good Idea to change to PostgreSQL 9.1.x?

It's definitely preferable to use 9.1 - though it does have the
symlink issue as well.