BUG #6627: Error while launching pgAdmin III

From
pooja_khobragade@persistent.co.in
Date:

Bug reference:      6627
Logged by:          Pooja Khobragade
Email address:      pooja_khobragade@persistent.co.in
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.0
Operating system:   Windows XP

Error while connecting to server FATAL: shmemindex size is wrong for
datastructure xlog ctl : expected xxx actaul xxx

How to resolve this?
Why am i gettign this error?

Re: BUG #6627: Error while launching pgAdmin III

Date:
pooja_khobragade@persistent.co.in writes:
> Error while connecting to server FATAL: shmemindex size is wrong for
> datastructure xlog ctl : expected xxx actaul xxx

That's an interesting one.  The only theory that comes to mind is that
you've got multiple versions of Postgres installed on your machine,
and when the postmaster tries to launch a subprocess, the wrong copy
of postgres.exe is being selected for some reason.  Or possibly you
updated in place and didn't restart the postmaster?

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #6627: Error while launching pgAdmin III

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> pooja_khobragade@persistent.co.in writes:
>> Error while connecting to server FATAL: shmemindex size is wrong
>> for datastructure xlog ctl : expected xxx actaul xxx
>
> That's an interesting one.  The only theory that comes to mind is
> that you've got multiple versions of Postgres installed on your
> machine, and when the postmaster tries to launch a subprocess, the
> wrong copy of postgres.exe is being selected for some reason.  Or
> possibly you updated in place and didn't restart the postmaster?

Just so the OP is aware, running pg_ctl with the restart option is
generally not adequate to prevent problems with an update, in place
or not.  The postmaster must be stopped and then started.  Some
service scripts may do that, others don't.  So the safe thing,
unless you know exactly how your service script is written, is to
stop and then start again.

-Kevin

Re: BUG #6627: Error while launching pgAdmin III

From
Pooja Khobragade
Date:
Tom & Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I get this error because there are two versi=
ons of postgreSQL installed on the same machine.

Regards,
Pooja

>> Error while connecting to server FATAL: shmemindex size is wrong for
>> datastructure xlog ctl : expected xxx actaul xxx
>
> That's an interesting one.  The only theory that comes to mind is that
> you've got multiple versions of Postgres installed on your machine,
> and when the postmaster tries to launch a subprocess, the wrong copy
> of postgres.exe is being selected for some reason.  Or possibly you
> updated in place and didn't restart the postmaster?

Just so the OP is aware, running pg_ctl with the restart option is generall=
y not adequate to prevent problems with an update, in place or not.  The po=
stmaster must be stopped and then started.  Some service scripts may do tha=
t, others don't.  So the safe thing, unless you know exactly how your servi=
ce script is written, is to stop and then start again.

-Kevin

DISCLAIMER
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is th=
e property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of th=
e individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intende=
d recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribut=
e or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, pl=
ease notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Sy=
stems Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

Date:
Pooja Khobragade <Pooja_Khobragade@persistent.co.in> wrote:

> I guess I get this error because there are two versions of
> postgreSQL installed on the same machine.

It sounds like that may be part of the problem, or an improper or
incomplete attempt at an update to a new major version.

On the other hand, there is definitely more to the problem than
running two versions on the same machine.  In our shop, we do that
all the time without problems.  It can work fine as long as you
manage it correctly.

Have you performed an upgrade to a new major version of PostgreSQL
lately?  Have you ever moved or copied PostgreSQL executable files
from one location to another?

-Kevin