Re: BUG #6627: Error while launching pgAdmin III - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Pooja Khobragade
Subject Re: BUG #6627: Error while launching pgAdmin III
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom & Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I get this error because there are two versi=
ons of postgreSQL installed on the same machine.

Regards,
Pooja

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Grittner [mailto:Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 7:54 PM
To: Pooja Khobragade; Tom Lane
Cc: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #6627: Error while launching pgAdmin III

Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> pooja_khobragade@persistent.co.in writes:
>> Error while connecting to server FATAL: shmemindex size is wrong for
>> datastructure xlog ctl : expected xxx actaul xxx
>
> That's an interesting one.  The only theory that comes to mind is that
> you've got multiple versions of Postgres installed on your machine,
> and when the postmaster tries to launch a subprocess, the wrong copy
> of postgres.exe is being selected for some reason.  Or possibly you
> updated in place and didn't restart the postmaster?

Just so the OP is aware, running pg_ctl with the restart option is generall=
y not adequate to prevent problems with an update, in place or not.  The po=
stmaster must be stopped and then started.  Some service scripts may do tha=
t, others don't.  So the safe thing, unless you know exactly how your servi=
ce script is written, is to stop and then start again.

-Kevin

DISCLAIMER
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is th=
e property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of th=
e individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intende=
d recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribut=
e or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, pl=
ease notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Sy=
stems Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.