BUG #5791: Tables are not viewing through pgadmin

From
"E.B Benoygopal"
Date:

Bug reference:      5791
Logged by:          E.B Benoygopal
Email address:      benoy@cdactvm.in
PostgreSQL version: 8.3
Operating system:   linux
Details:

In our research project we are using postgresql 8.3 in linux. We are using
pgadmin as the client for the postgres database. In some condition the
tables are not visible through the PGAdmin client application however the
data will be present in the tables that can be viewed and accessed through
the SQL editor in the PGADMIN client or through the programs. Please suggest
your recommentations to solve this issue. If you require more information
please let me know.

Re: BUG #5791: Tables are not viewing through pgadmin

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
"E.B Benoygopal"  wrote:

Since PostgreSQL itself is working as you expect, you might want to
ask on the support list for pgadmin: pgadmin-support

You might need to configure your search_path setting.

-Kevin

Re: BUG #5791: Tables are not viewing through pgadmin

From
"Benoygopal"
Date:
Dear PgAdmin Support Team,

In our research and implementation projects we are using postgres database =
and pgadmin client as the front end.
Our application and database are deployed in linux RHEL , Ubuntu and Window=
s. Using our application continuously data is logged into the database tabl=
es and the log tables are created every day. Other than this we have other =
tables as well to keep our configuration data. The tables are created autom=
atically when we run our application and it can be viewed through the pgadm=
in client. We are using triggers , stored procedures etc.

Because of some reasons we could not view the tables using pgadmin client (=
initially we could see all tables, triggers, procedures etc.), however we c=
ould able to log the data to the corresponding tables using our programs an=
d the table data can be displayed using the SQL editor in the pgadmin clien=
t. When we check the tables from the pgadmin table property count would be =
zero.

Have you experienced this type of issue any time? What is the reason for th=
is?

Since we are not using the complete functionalities of postgres we would li=
ke to know more about it. Do you provide any training for postgres?
Please let me know your training schedule/ is it possible to arrange a cust=
omized training specifically for our team based on our requirement.=20
=20

Thanks & Regards,
E.B Benoygopal
Deputy Director
Control and Instrumentation Group=20
CDAC, Trivandrum - 33.=20
=20
=EF=80=AA  | benoy@cdactvm.in    | www.cdactvm.in=20
=EF=80=A9   |+91-471-2723-333 | Extn: 390

Since PostgreSQL itself is working as you expect, you might want to
ask on the support list for pgadmin: pgadmin-support
=20
You might need to configure your search_path setting.
=20
-Kevin

______________________________________
Scanned and protected by Email scanner

Re: BUG #5791: Tables are not viewing through pgadmin

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 4:37 AM, Benoygopal <benoy@cdactvm.in> wrote:
> Dear PgAdmin Support Team,
>
> In our research and implementation projects we are using postgres database and pgadmin client as the front end.
> Our application and database are deployed in linux RHEL , Ubuntu and Windows. Using our application continuously data
islogged into the database tables and the log tables are created every day. Other than this we have other tables as
wellto keep our configuration data. The tables are created automatically when we run our application and it can be
viewedthrough the pgadmin client. We are using triggers , stored procedures etc.

> Because of some reasons we could not view the tables using pgadmin client (initially we could see all tables,
triggers,procedures etc.), however we could able to log the data to the corresponding tables using our programs and the
tabledata can be displayed using the SQL editor in the pgadmin client. When we check the tables from the pgadmin table
propertycount would be zero.

> Have you experienced this type of issue any time? What is the reason for this?

Do you mean the tables don't show up in the treeview? I assume you've
refreshed, after the tables have been created.

Are you looking in the right schema? Perhaps the search path means the
tables are being created somewhere other than where you expect.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #5791: Tables are not viewing through pgadmin

From
benoygopal
Date:
Yes meant the tables are not shown in the treeview.
Let me explain the sequence of operations.
While our application is running it will create the database , tables,
stored procedures, triggers etc. dynamically and  it will be visible through
pgAdmin as well. The application is running 24 X 7 and every day new table
will be created and the table is attached with triggers dynamically. The
error is very ergodic.And it is not sustain for long days even. Other than
the dynamic creation of the table we are not modifying anything in the
machine where the database is loaded. Please suggest what may the reason?
How I can solve the issue.

Regards
Benoygopal.

Date:
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM, benoygopal <benoy@cdactvm.in> wrote:

> Yes meant the tables are not shown in the treeview.
> Let me explain the sequence of operations.
> While our application is running it will create the database , tables,
> stored procedures, triggers etc. dynamically and =A0it will be visible th=
rough
> pgAdmin as well. The application is running 24 X 7 and every day new table
> will be created and the table is attached with triggers dynamically. The
> error is very ergodic.And it is not sustain for long days even. Other than
> the dynamic creation of the table we are not modifying anything in the
> machine where the database is loaded. Please suggest what may the reason?
> How I can solve the issue.

Do they show up if you refresh the treeview, or restart pgAdmin? Or
remain permanently invisible?

--=20
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #5791: Tables are not viewing through pgadmin

From
"Benoygopal"
Date:
Dear Dave,
Tables will not visible even after refreshing the tree view and after
restarting the PC as well.
It not predictable when the table will start displaying again. Some time the
tables displayed in the next day as well.
However we could able to login to the database,views up to schema but inside
schema nothing is visible.
But we could log and retrieve the data to the tables. Application could able
to use triggers stored procedures etc even it is not visible through
pgadmin. Please suggest any input is required from my side or suggest to
check something related to the postgres database or pgadmin related
configuration files when this condition occurs again.

Regards
Benoygopal
CDAC, Trivandrum.

=20

Date:
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Benoygopal <benoy@cdactvm.in> wrote:
> Dear Dave,
> Tables will not visible even after refreshing the tree view and after
> restarting the PC as well.
> It not predictable when the table will start displaying again. Some time the
> tables displayed in the next day as well.
> However we could able to login to the database,views up to schema but inside
> schema nothing is visible.
> But we could log and retrieve the data to the tables. Application could able
> to use triggers stored procedures etc even it is not visible through
> pgadmin. Please suggest any input is required from my side or suggest to
> check something related to the postgres database or pgadmin related
> configuration files when this condition occurs again.

There isn't really anything to check config-wise. This has always
worked for hundreds of thousands of users over the 6 or 7 years of
pgAdmin III, so I'm somewhat at a loss to know what to suggest.

How are the tables being created? Are you sure they're in the schema
you think they're in (ie. could the search path in your app put them
somewhere other than where you expect)?

For PostgreSQL 8.4 and 9.0, the query used to get the table info looks
something like the following. You could try running that if the
problem re-occurs (you should change the OID at the end to match the
OID of the schema you're looking in:

SELECT rel.oid, relname, rel.reltablespace AS spcoid, spcname,
pg_get_userbyid(relowner) AS relowner, relacl, relhasoids,
relhassubclass, reltuples, description, conname, conkey,
       EXISTS(select 1 FROM pg_trigger
                       JOIN pg_proc pt ON pt.oid=tgfoid AND
pt.proname='logtrigger'
                       JOIN pg_proc pc ON
pc.pronamespace=pt.pronamespace AND pc.proname='slonyversion'
                     WHERE tgrelid=rel.oid) AS isrepl
, substring(array_to_string(rel.reloptions, ',') from
'fillfactor=([0-9]*)') AS fillfactor
, substring(array_to_string(rel.reloptions, ',') FROM
'autovacuum_enabled=([a-z|0-9]*)') AS autovacuum_enabled
, substring(array_to_string(rel.reloptions, ',') FROM
'autovacuum_vacuum_threshold=([0-9]*)') AS autovacuum_vacuum_threshold
, substring(array_to_string(rel.reloptions, ',') FROM
'autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor=([0-9]*[.][0-9]*)') AS
autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor
, substring(array_to_string(rel.reloptions, ',') FROM
'autovacuum_analyze_threshold=([0-9]*)') AS
autovacuum_analyze_threshold
, substring(array_to_string(rel.reloptions, ',') FROM
'autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor=([0-9]*[.][0-9]*)') AS
autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor
, substring(array_to_string(rel.reloptions, ',') FROM
'autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay=([0-9]*)') AS
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay
, substring(array_to_string(rel.reloptions, ',') FROM
'autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit=([0-9]*)') AS
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit
, substring(array_to_string(rel.reloptions, ',') FROM
'autovacuum_freeze_min_age=([0-9]*)') AS autovacuum_freeze_min_age
, substring(array_to_string(rel.reloptions, ',') FROM
'autovacuum_freeze_max_age=([0-9]*)') AS autovacuum_freeze_max_age
, substring(array_to_string(rel.reloptions, ',') FROM
'autovacuum_freeze_table_age=([0-9]*)') AS autovacuum_freeze_table_age
, rel.reloptions AS reloptions
, (CASE WHEN rel.reltoastrelid = 0 THEN false ELSE true END) AS hastoasttable
, reloftype, typname
  FROM pg_class rel
  LEFT OUTER JOIN pg_tablespace ta on ta.oid=rel.reltablespace
  LEFT OUTER JOIN pg_description des ON (des.objoid=rel.oid AND des.objsubid=0)
  LEFT OUTER JOIN pg_constraint c ON c.conrelid=rel.oid AND c.contype='p'
LEFT JOIN pg_type ON reloftype=pg_type.oid
 WHERE relkind IN ('r','s','t') AND relnamespace = 2200::oid
 ORDER BY relname

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #5791: Tables are not viewing through pgadmin

From
"Benoygopal"
Date:
Dear Dave,

Here I missed one thing that we are still using Postgres 8.3 and pgadmin
III- ver 1.10.0 in ubuntu 9.10.
Even though the tables are not displaying in the tree view we can view the
content while querying the tables using the SQL editor of pgadmin.

And this error is not happening in my end and it was reported by one of our
customer.

Regards
Benoy