postgresql 8.3 on ubuntu 8.10 uppgrade,remove,or reinstall problem

From
pritesh modi
Date:
Hello

 i am not understanding regarding this bug what s problem with that its not allowed to start the postgresql successfully what is a problem that coud not easily find out

i reinstall and install the packages again and again but could not the solution

here is the same links i check and also follow but could not find out the solution?

i am also going to send to u a whole console output with each command i follow but not getting it anysolution everytime i get a same a error

if anybody know regarding this problem provide me the solution?
thanks

--
Pritesh  Modi
Mobile:+91- 9825549347

Attachment

Re: postgresql 8.3 on ubuntu 8.10 uppgrade,remove,or reinstall problem

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 04/07/10 01:04, pritesh modi wrote:
> Hello
>
>  i am not understanding regarding this bug what s problem with that its not
> allowed to start the postgresql successfully what is a problem that coud not
> easily find out

Please provide error messages reported on the console, any information
from the PostgreSQL logs in /var/log/postgresql, etc.

If your issue is anything like the links you posted, then you're dealing
with an issue with your packages. Are you trying to install postgresql
packages from a different version of ubuntu or a different distro?

Where are your packages FROM?

--
Craig Ringer

Date:
On 4/07/2010 3:00 PM, pritesh modi wrote:
> *
> Unpacking postgresql-common (from .../postgresql-common_90_all.deb) ...

> Setting up postgresql-common (90) ...
> supported_versions: WARNING: Unknown Ubuntu release: 8.10*

This is not a PostgreSQL bug. It's looks like a problem with the
packages you are trying to use on your (rather old) version of Ubuntu. I
doubt anyone in Ubuntu will care, though, given how old the version
you're running is, so I'll try to help out.

First, let's make sure there are no other packages that might be
involved. To do that, please post the full, exact output of the
following command:

   cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* /etc/apt/sources.list

... and of this command:

   apt-cache policy postgresql-common postgresql-8.3

Also: you ran your install command from within a directory that had been
deleted, presumably by the --purge you just ran.  That's what the
messages "sudo: cannot get working directory" and "shell-init: error
retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories:
No such file or directory" mean - you are running from a deleted
directory. While that probably don't cause problems in this case, it
can. If in doubt, type "cd" then enter before running an install command
so you go to your home directory.

--
Craig Ringer