Re: postgresql 8.3 on ubuntu 8.10 uppgrade,remove,or reinstall problem - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: postgresql 8.3 on ubuntu 8.10 uppgrade,remove,or reinstall problem
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 4/07/2010 3:00 PM, pritesh modi wrote:
> *
> Unpacking postgresql-common (from .../postgresql-common_90_all.deb) ...

> Setting up postgresql-common (90) ...
> supported_versions: WARNING: Unknown Ubuntu release: 8.10*

This is not a PostgreSQL bug. It's looks like a problem with the
packages you are trying to use on your (rather old) version of Ubuntu. I
doubt anyone in Ubuntu will care, though, given how old the version
you're running is, so I'll try to help out.

First, let's make sure there are no other packages that might be
involved. To do that, please post the full, exact output of the
following command:

   cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* /etc/apt/sources.list

... and of this command:

   apt-cache policy postgresql-common postgresql-8.3

Also: you ran your install command from within a directory that had been
deleted, presumably by the --purge you just ran.  That's what the
messages "sudo: cannot get working directory" and "shell-init: error
retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories:
No such file or directory" mean - you are running from a deleted
directory. While that probably don't cause problems in this case, it
can. If in doubt, type "cd" then enter before running an install command
so you go to your home directory.

--
Craig Ringer