BUG #5242: ODBC driver v8.4.1 crashed

From
"Gerhard Lutz"
Date:

Bug reference:      5242
Logged by:          Gerhard Lutz
Email address:      gerhard.lutz@mbtech-group.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.1
Operating system:   Windows XP
Details:

Hello,
in my application the PostgreSQL ODBC driver v8.4.1 sometimes crashed when
accessing a PostgreSQL v8.3.6 server.
I want to read out data from a column of type "TEXT". I use a simple SQL
query "SELECT prg FROM testdata WHERE id=1234".
Inside the following C call

rcode = ::SQLGetData(m_hStmt, nCol, SQL_C_CHAR, m_szString, nBufSize,
&sdODataLength);

the psqlodbc35w.dll crashes (probably depending on the column data).
I've got Mini Dumps of these crashes. Just tell me if you need them.

Do you already know something about this problem?
Best regards,
Gerhard

Re: BUG #5242: ODBC driver v8.4.1 crashed

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:57 AM, Gerhard Lutz
<gerhard.lutz@mbtech-group.com> wrote:

> Bug reference: =A0 =A0 =A05242
> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Gerhard Lutz
> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0gerhard.lutz@mbtech-group.com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.1
> Operating system: =A0 Windows XP
> Details:
>
> Hello,
> in my application the PostgreSQL ODBC driver v8.4.1 sometimes crashed when
> accessing a PostgreSQL v8.3.6 server.
> I want to read out data from a column of type "TEXT". I use a simple SQL
> query "SELECT prg FROM testdata WHERE id=3D1234".
> Inside the following C call
>
> rcode =3D ::SQLGetData(m_hStmt, nCol, SQL_C_CHAR, m_szString, nBufSize,
> &sdODataLength);
>
> the psqlodbc35w.dll crashes (probably depending on the column data).
> I've got Mini Dumps of these crashes. Just tell me if you need them.
>
> Do you already know something about this problem?

Since there has been no response here, I would try reposting this
problem report on pgsql-odbc.  This list is technically for PostgreSQL
bugs proper, and it seems that the pgsql-odbc folks don't follow it
closely.

And to the list: can we PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE add a note about this on
the bug submission page?  I asked for this before and Tom concurred,
but I'm not aware that anything has been done about it.  What do I
have to do to make this happen?

...Robert

Re: BUG #5242: ODBC driver v8.4.1 crashed

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 18:21, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:57 AM, Gerhard Lutz
> <gerhard.lutz@mbtech-group.com> wrote:
>>
>> The following bug has been logged online:
>>
>> Bug reference: =A0 =A0 =A05242
>> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Gerhard Lutz
>> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0gerhard.lutz@mbtech-group.com
>> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.1
>> Operating system: =A0 Windows XP
>> Details:
>>
>> Hello,
>> in my application the PostgreSQL ODBC driver v8.4.1 sometimes crashed wh=
en
>> accessing a PostgreSQL v8.3.6 server.
>> I want to read out data from a column of type "TEXT". I use a simple SQL
>> query "SELECT prg FROM testdata WHERE id=3D1234".
>> Inside the following C call
>>
>> rcode =3D ::SQLGetData(m_hStmt, nCol, SQL_C_CHAR, m_szString, nBufSize,
>> &sdODataLength);
>>
>> the psqlodbc35w.dll crashes (probably depending on the column data).
>> I've got Mini Dumps of these crashes. Just tell me if you need them.
>>
>> Do you already know something about this problem?
>
> Since there has been no response here, I would try reposting this
> problem report on pgsql-odbc. =A0This list is technically for PostgreSQL
> bugs proper, and it seems that the pgsql-odbc folks don't follow it
> closely.
>
> And to the list: can we PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE add a note about this on
> the bug submission page? =A0I asked for this before and Tom concurred,
> but I'm not aware that anything has been done about it. =A0What do I
> have to do to make this happen?

Suggest the exact text? ;)

--=20
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: BUG #5242: ODBC driver v8.4.1 crashed

From
Robert Haas
>> And to the list: can we PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE add a note about this on
>> the bug submission page? =A0I asked for this before and Tom concurred,
>> but I'm not aware that anything has been done about it. =A0What do I
>> have to do to make this happen?
>
> Suggest the exact text? ;)

*scratches head*  Maybe something like this?

For bugs in supporting products, such as psql-odbc, pgsql-jdbc, or
pgadmin, please do not use this bug reporting form.  Instead, post
your question to the appropriate <a href=3D'/community/lists'>mailing
list</a>.

...Robert

Re: BUG #5242: ODBC driver v8.4.1 crashed

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> And to the list: can we PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE add a note about this on
>>> the bug submission page?  I asked for this before and Tom concurred,
>>> but I'm not aware that anything has been done about it.  What do I
>>> have to do to make this happen?
>> Suggest the exact text? ;)
>
> *scratches head*  Maybe something like this?
>
> For bugs in supporting products, such as psql-odbc, pgsql-jdbc, or
> pgadmin, please do not use this bug reporting form.  Instead, post
> your question to the appropriate <a href='/community/lists'>mailing
> list</a>

hmm - not sure that is too clear especially because I don't think  ther
is only JDBC/ODBC or pgadmin (nor do I think you names match up with how
they are really called). what about doing it the other way round like:

"This bug report form can be used for reporting bugs and problems with
the PostgreSQL database, for problems with database connectors,
graphical administration tools or other external projects please report
to them directly. Alternatively you can look at the available <a
href='/community/lists'>mailing lists</a> and see if there is a more
apropriate list available."

Stefan

Re: BUG #5242: ODBC driver v8.4.1 crashed

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner escribió:

> hmm - not sure that is too clear especially because I don't think
> ther is only JDBC/ODBC or pgadmin (nor do I think you names match up
> with how they are really called). what about doing it the other way
> round like:
>
> "This bug report form can be used for reporting bugs and problems
> with the PostgreSQL database, for problems with database connectors,
> graphical administration tools or other external projects please
> report to them directly. Alternatively you can look at the available
> more apropriate list available."

I think it's a good idea to mention some specific more problematic names
like the three listed.

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner escribió:
>
>> hmm - not sure that is too clear especially because I don't think
>> ther is only JDBC/ODBC or pgadmin (nor do I think you names match up
>> with how they are really called). what about doing it the other way
>> round like:
>>
>> "This bug report form can be used for reporting bugs and problems
>> with the PostgreSQL database, for problems with database connectors,
>> graphical administration tools or other external projects please
>> report to them directly. Alternatively you can look at the available
>> more apropriate list available."
>
> I think it's a good idea to mention some specific more problematic names
> like the three listed.

yeah maybe - but afaik the products are not named "psql-odbc" or
"pgsql-jdbc" - those are more or less list names and likely not of much
more use than not listening them at all :).
Plus a lot of the surounding projects (like pgadmin, slony or most
pgfoundry projects) have their own bug/issue reporting/tracking
infrastructure.
I'm all open for better wordings - any other takers? :)

Stefan

Re: BUG #5242: ODBC driver v8.4.1 crashed

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 08:34:14PM +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >Stefan Kaltenbrunner escribió:
> >
> >>hmm - not sure that is too clear especially because I don't think
> >>ther is only JDBC/ODBC or pgadmin (nor do I think you names match up
> >>with how they are really called). what about doing it the other way
> >>round like:
> >>
> >>"This bug report form can be used for reporting bugs and problems
> >>with the PostgreSQL database, for problems with database connectors,
> >>graphical administration tools or other external projects please
> >>report to them directly. Alternatively you can look at the available
> >>more apropriate list available."
> >
> >I think it's a good idea to mention some specific more problematic names
> >like the three listed.
>
> yeah maybe - but afaik the products are not named "psql-odbc" or
> "pgsql-jdbc" - those are more or less list names and likely not of
> much more use than not listening them at all :).
> Plus a lot of the surounding projects (like pgadmin, slony or most
> pgfoundry projects) have their own bug/issue reporting/tracking
> infrastructure.
> I'm all open for better wordings - any other takers? :)

This bug report form can be used for reporting bugs and problems with
the PostgreSQL database, for problems with database connectors like
JDBC and ODBC, graphical administration tools like pgAdmin and
phpPgAdmin, or other external projects like Slony, Bucardo, etc.,
please report to them directly.  In cases where you have a problem
with things outside the PostgreSQL database itself, check the
available <a href="/community/lists">mailing lists</a> and see if
there is a more appropriate list available.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner escribió:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> >I think it's a good idea to mention some specific more problematic names
> >like the three listed.
>
> yeah maybe - but afaik the products are not named "psql-odbc" or
> "pgsql-jdbc" - those are more or less list names and likely not of
> much more use than not listening them at all :).

Agreed.  Plus I'd use uppercase, otherwise people is just going to
ignore it visually.  So

"This bug report form can be used for reporting bugs and problems with
the PostgreSQL database, for problems with database connectors such as
ODBC and JDBC, graphical administration tools such as pgAdmin or other
external projects <b>do not report them here</b>; please report to those
projects directly. Alternatively you can look at the available <a

Date:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 04:42:06PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner escribió:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > >I think it's a good idea to mention some specific more problematic names
> > >like the three listed.
> >
> > yeah maybe - but afaik the products are not named "psql-odbc" or
> > "pgsql-jdbc" - those are more or less list names and likely not of
> > much more use than not listening them at all :).
>
> Agreed.  Plus I'd use uppercase, otherwise people is just going to
> ignore it visually.  So
>
> "This bug report form can be used for reporting bugs and problems with
> the PostgreSQL database, for problems with database connectors such as
> ODBC and JDBC, graphical administration tools such as pgAdmin or other
> external projects <b>do not report them here</b>; please report to those
> projects directly. Alternatively you can look at the available <a
> href='/community/lists'>mailing lists</a> and see if there is a more
> apropriate list available."

This is better than what I sent :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: BUG #5242: ODBC driver v8.4.1 crashed

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> "This bug report form can be used for reporting bugs and problems with
> the PostgreSQL database, for problems with database connectors such as
> ODBC and JDBC, graphical administration tools such as pgAdmin or other
> external projects <b>do not report them here</b>; please report to those
> projects directly. Alternatively you can look at the available <a
> href='/community/lists'>mailing lists</a> and see if there is a more
> apropriate list available."

The comma splice here makes it look like the things you shouldn't use
the form for are in the same list as the things you should use it for.
 How about:

This bug report form should only be used for reporting bugs and
problems with the PostgreSQL database.  Problems with database
connectors such as ODBC and JDBC, graphical administration tools such
as pgAdmin or other external projects <b>should not be reported
here</b>; please report to those projects directly.  For products
closely connected with PostgreSQL, there may be an appropriate <a
href='/community/lists'>mailing list</a> available.

...Robert

Date:
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> "This bug report form can be used for reporting bugs and problems with
>> the PostgreSQL database, for problems with database connectors such as
>> ODBC and JDBC, graphical administration tools such as pgAdmin or other
>> external projects <b>do not report them here</b>; please report to those
>> projects directly. Alternatively you can look at the available <a
>> href='/community/lists'>mailing lists</a> and see if there is a more
>> apropriate list available."
>
> The comma splice here makes it look like the things you shouldn't use
> the form for are in the same list as the things you should use it for.
>  How about:
>
> This bug report form should only be used for reporting bugs and
> problems with the PostgreSQL database.  Problems with database
> connectors such as ODBC and JDBC, graphical administration tools such
> as pgAdmin or other external projects <b>should not be reported
> here</b>; please report to those projects directly.  For products
> closely connected with PostgreSQL, there may be an appropriate <a
> href='/community/lists'>mailing list</a> available.

updated the website with that wording - should be up on the next site
reload.

Stefan

Re: BUG #5242: ODBC driver v8.4.1 crashed

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:35 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> updated the website with that wording - should be up on the next site
> reload.

Thanks!

...Robert