Problem installing Postgres 8.4.1

From
Christine Penner
Date:
Hi,
I posted the following message to the General list a while ago. I am
still not able to run postgres at all.

I am trying to install Postgres 8.4. I had 8.3 installed. Because I
didn't have any important data, to make it easier I removed 8.3, the data
directory, removed the Postgres windows user and removed all registry
values I could find. I also shut down my anti virus and anti spyware
software that was running (and restarted my computer).

When I run the postgres installer (postgresql-8.4.0-1-windows.exe) I
get an error about the file postgresSQL.conf not being found. When the
installer finishes I have an empty data directory. I also tried
installing the data directory in a place other than the program files
directory. I have done this a few times now and I'm just not seeing what
I'm missing. When I originally installed Postgres 8.3 I didn't use the
one click installer. Since then I have upgraded to another 8.3.x without
any issues.

Since then I have tried the 8.4.1 installer. I sent someone my log file
found in the temp directory and they said it was user permissions. I am
using an admin account and I have double checked that.  This is the
same user I originally installed with and upgraded with before.  I
tried running initdb from the bin folder and that did nothing. I really
need to get postgres installed on this computer again. Its really
difficult for me to work without it.

Christine Penner
Ingenious Software
250-352-9495
christine@ingenioussoftware.com

Re: Problem installing Postgres 8.4.1

From
Sachin Srivastava
Date:
On 09/21/2009 08:31 PM, Christine Penner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posted the following message to the General list a while ago. I am
> still not able to run postgres at all.
>
>>     I am trying to install Postgres 8.4. I had 8.3 installed. Because
>>     I didn't have any important data, to make it easier I removed
>>     8.3, the data directory, removed the Postgres windows user and
>>     removed all registry values I could find. I also shut down my
>>     anti virus and anti spyware software that was running (and
>>     restarted my computer).
>>
>>     When I run the postgres installer
>>     (postgresql-8.4.0-1-windows.exe) I get an error about the file
>>     postgresSQL.conf not being found. When the installer finishes I
>>     have an empty data directory. I also tried installing the data
>>     directory in a place other than the program files directory. I
>>     have done this a few times now and I'm just not seeing what I'm
>>     missing. When I originally installed Postgres 8.3 I didn't use
>>     the one click installer. Since then I have upgraded to another
>>     8.3.x without any issues.
>>

> Since then I have tried the 8.4.1 installer. I sent someone my log
> file found in the temp directory and they said it was user
> permissions. I am using an admin account and I have double checked
> that.  This is the same user I originally installed with and upgraded
> with before.  I tried running initdb from the bin folder and that did
> nothing.
What error you get when you run initdb?? (Also what exact command you run?)

www.enterprisedb.com

Date:
At 11:57 AM 21/09/2009, you wrote:
>What error you get when you run initdb?? (Also what exact command you run?)

The first time I just double clicked on the file initdb.exe. Just now
I tried to run it through the command prompt and go this, this is the
same stuff that was in the log file in the temp directory after I ran
the installer:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin>initdb.exe -D C:\PostgreSQL\8.4\data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "User".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_Canada.1252.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to WIN1252.
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

fixing permissions on existing directory C:/PostgreSQL/8.4/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... initdb: could not create directory "C:/PostgreSQL":
File exists
initdb: removing contents of data directory "C:/PostgreSQL/8.4/data"

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin>

I deleted the PostgreSQL Directory that was there (empty) and tried
again and now it tells me that initdb.exe is not a valid win32 application

>--
>Regards,
>Sachin Srivastava
><http://www.enterprisedb.com>www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Problem installing Postgres 8.4.1

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Christine Penner
<christine@ingenioussoftware.com> wrote:
> At 11:57 AM 21/09/2009, you wrote:
>>
>> What error you get when you run initdb?? (Also what exact command you
>> run?)
>
> The first time I just double clicked on the file initdb.exe. Just now I
> tried to run it through the command prompt and go this, this is the same
> stuff that was in the log file in the temp directory after I ran the
> installer:
>
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin>initdb.exe -D C:\PostgreSQL\8.4\data
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "User".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_Canada.1252.
> The default database encoding has accordingly been set to WIN1252.
> The default text search configuration will be set to "english".
>
> fixing permissions on existing directory C:/PostgreSQL/8.4/data ... ok
> creating subdirectories ... initdb: could not create directory
> "C:/PostgreSQL":
> File exists
> initdb: removing contents of data directory "C:/PostgreSQL/8.4/data"
>
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin>
>
> I deleted the PostgreSQL Directory that was there (empty) and tried again
> and now it tells me that initdb.exe is not a valid win32 application

It sort of sounds like you must've removed some component that
initdb.exe needed....

but I'm not a Windows guy, so just speculating.

...Robert