Problem installing Postgres 8.4.1 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Christine Penner
Subject Problem installing Postgres 8.4.1
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,
I posted the following message to the General list a while ago. I am
still not able to run postgres at all.

I am trying to install Postgres 8.4. I had 8.3 installed. Because I
didn't have any important data, to make it easier I removed 8.3, the data
directory, removed the Postgres windows user and removed all registry
values I could find. I also shut down my anti virus and anti spyware
software that was running (and restarted my computer).

When I run the postgres installer (postgresql-8.4.0-1-windows.exe) I
get an error about the file postgresSQL.conf not being found. When the
installer finishes I have an empty data directory. I also tried
installing the data directory in a place other than the program files
directory. I have done this a few times now and I'm just not seeing what
I'm missing. When I originally installed Postgres 8.3 I didn't use the
one click installer. Since then I have upgraded to another 8.3.x without
any issues.

Since then I have tried the 8.4.1 installer. I sent someone my log file
found in the temp directory and they said it was user permissions. I am
using an admin account and I have double checked that.  This is the
same user I originally installed with and upgraded with before.  I
tried running initdb from the bin folder and that did nothing. I really
need to get postgres installed on this computer again. Its really
difficult for me to work without it.

Christine Penner
Ingenious Software
250-352-9495