Fatal Error

From
Travis Kirtley
Date:
Hello, I was using holdem manager with support from postgresql for several =
months and recently it all came crashing down.=A0 I opened up Holdem Manage=
r and it said it couldn't connect to postgresql, so I did a little research=
.=A0 All in all what I found was:
=A0
postgreSQL won't start,=A0 I've tried to start it from the start menu and t=
hrough administrative tools->services.=A0 It says "starting...", a loading =
bar opens, it makes it about 50-60% across, stops and brings up a window sa=
ying "could not start the PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 service on Local C=
omputer.=A0 Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control=
 request in a timely fashion."
=A0
Further searching by the windows event viewer shows a postgreSQL error whic=
h leads me to writing this email.=A0 The error says "FATAL: syntax error in=
 file "C/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/postgresql.conf" line 1, near to=
ken "," ".=A0 I have no idea what this means or how to go about addressing =
this.=A0 One thought was to delete my old database (against this preferably=
) and see if that is the source of the issue.=A0=20
=A0
So far I've reinstated=A0previous windows states, removed any newish update=
s by windows and reinstalled postgreSQL, none of which has worked.=A0=20
=A0
Any Ideas?
Travis K.

=20=20=20=20=20=20=

Re: Fatal Error

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 17/08/2009 9:23 AM, Travis Kirtley wrote:

> Further searching by the windows event viewer shows a postgreSQL error
> which leads me to writing this email. The error says "FATAL: syntax
> error in file "C/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/postgresql.conf" line
> 1, near token "," ". I have no idea what this means or how to go about
> addressing this.

You or your software has modified your postgresql configuration file -
incorrectly.

You can edit C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/postgresql.conf to fix
the issue. There's a comma on the first line somewhere it doesn't make
sense.

You might want to contact the technical support for the company whose
software includes PostgreSQL for more in-depth assistance.

> One thought was to delete my old database (against this
> preferably) and see if that is the source of the issue.

No, it's not. It's your PostgreSQL configuration file, which is shared
across all databases.

> So far I've reinstated previous windows states, removed any newish
> updates by windows and reinstalled postgreSQL, none of which has worked.
> Any Ideas?

Fix the config file. You haven't posted its contents so nobody can see
what might be wrong with it. The config file is the file whose location
is given in the error message you saw.

--
Craig Ringer