Re: Fatal Error - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Fatal Error
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 17/08/2009 9:23 AM, Travis Kirtley wrote:

> Further searching by the windows event viewer shows a postgreSQL error
> which leads me to writing this email. The error says "FATAL: syntax
> error in file "C/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/postgresql.conf" line
> 1, near token "," ". I have no idea what this means or how to go about
> addressing this.

You or your software has modified your postgresql configuration file -
incorrectly.

You can edit C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/postgresql.conf to fix
the issue. There's a comma on the first line somewhere it doesn't make
sense.

You might want to contact the technical support for the company whose
software includes PostgreSQL for more in-depth assistance.

> One thought was to delete my old database (against this
> preferably) and see if that is the source of the issue.

No, it's not. It's your PostgreSQL configuration file, which is shared
across all databases.

> So far I've reinstated previous windows states, removed any newish
> updates by windows and reinstalled postgreSQL, none of which has worked.
> Any Ideas?

Fix the config file. You haven't posted its contents so nobody can see
what might be wrong with it. The config file is the file whose location
is given in the error message you saw.

--
Craig Ringer