BUG #4989: Fatal Error - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Travis K
Subject BUG #4989: Fatal Error
Date
Re: BUG #4989: Fatal Error  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      4989
Logged by:          Travis K
Email address:      travisjkirtley@yahoo.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3
Operating system:   Windows XP
Details:

Hello, I was using holdem manager with support from postgresql for several
months and recently it all came crashing down.  I opened up Holdem Manager
and it said it couldn't connect to postgresql, so I did a little research.
All in all what I found was:

postgreSQL won't start,  I've tried to start it from the start menu and
through administrative tools->services.  It says "starting...", a loading
bar opens, it makes it about 50-60% across, stops and brings up a window
saying "could not start the PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 service on Local
Computer.  Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control
request in a timely fashion."

Further searching by the windows event viewer shows a postgreSQL error which
leads me to writing this email.  The error says "FATAL: syntax error in file
"C/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/postgresql.conf" line 1, near token ","
".  I have no idea what this means or how to go about addressing this.  One
thought was to delete my old database (against this preferably) and see if
that is the source of the issue.

So far I've reinstated previous windows states, removed any newish updates
by windows and reinstalled postgreSQL, none of which has worked.

Any Ideas?