BUG #4938: upgrade to 8.4 issue

From
"Anders Edstrom"
Date:

Bug reference:      4938
Logged by:          Anders Edstrom
Email address:      ae58@yahoo.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3
Operating system:   Windows Vista
Details:

Hi,

When I run the installation of postgresql 8.4 I'm prompted for password.
When I issue the password I have for 8.3 (=dbpass)I get an error message
"invalid password" ??

I don't understand how that is possible since its the only password I have
?

How can I reset the password so I can get the postgresql up and working
again, i.e. I have also now tried to uninstall 8.3 but get the same message
of invalid password?

Help please ...

Best regards,
Anders

Re: BUG #4938: upgrade to 8.4 issue

From
Magnus Hagander
> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Anders Edstrom
> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0ae58@yahoo.com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3
> Operating system: =A0 Windows Vista
> Details:
>
> Hi,
>
> When I run the installation of postgresql 8.4 I'm prompted for password.
> When I issue the password I have for 8.3 (=3Ddbpass)I get an error message
> "invalid password" ??
>
> I don't understand how that is possible since its the only password I have
> ?

You should have one password for the service account and one for the
superuser. You are probably entering the password for the superuser -
it needs the service account.

> How can I reset the password so I can get the postgresql up and working
> again, i.e. I have also now tried to uninstall 8.3 but get the same messa=
ge
> of invalid password?

You can do this using the user management functions in the operating
system, or using the "NET USER" command on the commandprompt.

--=20
 Magnus Hagander
 Self: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Date:
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 23:40, Anders E<ae58@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
> Are you swedish, then you can answer in Swedish if you like .. ?

Yes, but let's keep it in english for the sake of the list.

> I still can't get passed the request for password when trying to install 8.4
> ?
> Don't know if I succeded to rest the password either.
> Exactly how do I remove the password, I'm using Windows Vista?

I have no experience using Windows Vista, so I don't know the exact
procedure there. I suggest looking in the documentation for that.

> I tried writing NET USER at the command prompt.
> Shouldn't I also add something else in the command (not my strong side doing
> this as you understand).

Yes, you need to add the service account and new password. For example:
NET USER postgres MyNewPassword

> Or is there another way to get around the password request when installing
> postgreSQL 8.4 ??

You can create a new service account with a different name.