Bug reference:      4915
Logged by:          Ahren Reed
Email address:      aareed@nps.edu
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.0
Operating system:   Windows XP
installed files
Details:

I am using the Crossbow install package called "MoteViewSetup_1.2.B.exe"
that came on my Crossbow System Support CD.  MoteView installs  PostgreSQL
8.0.  The problem is that the installation fails with the following
message:

PostgreSQL 8.0.0-rcl
! Failed to set permissions on the installed files.  Please see the logfile
'C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0.0-rcl\tmp\pgperm.log'

The log file (pgperm.log) has the following message:
"No mapping between account names and security IDs was done."

The account I am using has Administrator permissions.  Is this an issue with
Symantec AntiVirus?  I have that running on the system.  It's the "corporate
version" 10.1.8.8000

I have tried installing the PostgreSQL software with the Symantec services
stopped, and it still doesn't install.

I have checked the Security tab on the Program Files folder where the
PostgreSQL folder resides, and I have Full Control on all the permissions.

Not sure why I keep getting this "Failed to set permissions on the installed
files" error.  What's going on?
That is an installer error so you will have to report it to  MoteView or
Crossbow.

"Ahren Reed" <aareed@nps.edu> writes:
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.0
> Operating system:   Windows XP
> installed files

> I am using the Crossbow install package called "MoteViewSetup_1.2.B.exe"
> that came on my Crossbow System Support CD.  MoteView installs  PostgreSQL
> 8.0.

We desupported 8.0.x on Windows quite a long time ago.  The oldest PG
release that is considered sufficiently un-buggy on Windows to be
supportable is 8.2.x, and even there x had better be in the double
digits.  If Crossbow is really still shipping 8.0.0-rc1 and expecting
people to rely on it, that borders on criminal negligence.  Holler at
them to ship something non-obsolete.  In the meantime, you might see
if you can install a current release off our website and get MoteView
to work with that.

            regards, tom lane
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> That is an installer error so you will have to report it to  MoteView or
> Crossbow.

But in any case, if you are getting something as old as 8.0.0-rc1, you
are being scammed.