Locale (unsupported) bug. uk_UA.KOI8-U

From
ivocs admin
Date:
initdb -E ISO-8859-1 -D data/
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale uk_UA.KOI8-U.
could not determine encoding for locale "uk_UA.KOI8-U": codeset is "KOI8-U"
initdb: could not find suitable text search configuration for locale
uk_UA.KOI8-U
The default text search configuration will be set to "simple".

fixing permissions on existing directory data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers/max_fsm_pages ... 24MB/153600
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in data/base/1 ... ok
initializing pg_authid ... ok
initializing dependencies ... ok
creating system views ... ok
creating conversions ... ok
creating dictionaries ... ok
setting privileges on built-in objects ... ok
creating information schema ... ok
vacuuming database template1 ... ok
copying template1 to template0 ... WARNING:  could not determine
encoding for locale "uk_UA.KOI8-U": codeset is "KOI8-U"
DETAIL:  Please report this to <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org>.
ok
copying template1 to postgres ... WARNING:  could not determine encoding
for locale "uk_UA.KOI8-U": codeset is "KOI8-U"
DETAIL:  Please report this to <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org>.
ok

WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections
You can change this by editing pg_hba.conf or using the -A option the
next time you run initdb.

Success. You can now start the database server using:

    postgres -D data

--
WBR, Bohdan Turkynewych
iVOCS.com System Administrator

believed to be clean.

Re: Locale (unsupported) bug. uk_UA.KOI8-U

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
ivocs admin wrote:
> initdb -E ISO-8859-1 -D data/

This is probably not a good idea.  You should specify a locale and let
initdb figure out the matching encoding.  Otherwise you might end up
with an incompatible locale/encoding combination.  (initdb would
probably not even allow this to proceed, but you have other problems as
well, see below.)

> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "postgres".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale uk_UA.KOI8-U.
> could not determine encoding for locale "uk_UA.KOI8-U": codeset is "KOI8-U"
> initdb: could not find suitable text search configuration for locale
> uk_UA.KOI8-U

PostgreSQL currently doesn't support the KOI8-U encoding.  You could
consider using UTF-8 instead.  Try running this

initdb --locale=uk_UA.utf8 -D data/

Re: Locale (unsupported) bug. uk_UA.KOI8-U

Date:
> ivocs admin wrote:
>> The database cluster will be initialized with locale uk_UA.KOI8-U.
>> could not determine encoding for locale "uk_UA.KOI8-U": codeset is "KOI8-U"
>> initdb: could not find suitable text search configuration for locale
>> uk_UA.KOI8-U

> PostgreSQL currently doesn't support the KOI8-U encoding.  You could
> consider using UTF-8 instead.  Try running this
> initdb --locale=uk_UA.utf8 -D data/

It's still not going to find a suitable text search configuration,
since we haven't got anything for Ukranian ...

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
>> ivocs admin wrote:
>>> The database cluster will be initialized with locale uk_UA.KOI8-U.
>>> could not determine encoding for locale "uk_UA.KOI8-U": codeset is "KOI8-U"
>>> initdb: could not find suitable text search configuration for locale
>>> uk_UA.KOI8-U
>
>> PostgreSQL currently doesn't support the KOI8-U encoding.  You could
>> consider using UTF-8 instead.  Try running this
>> initdb --locale=uk_UA.utf8 -D data/
>
> It's still not going to find a suitable text search configuration,
> since we haven't got anything for Ukranian ...

But initdb will still succeed, so if you don't need the text search
feature, you can proceed.  If you do need text search, you can possibly
get away with using the configuration for russian (see initdb -T
option).  Do let us know if we need to make any adjustments to support
Ukrainian better.