BUG #4177: Dump and restore from Slonified 8.1.11 causes a segfault

From
"Githogori Nyangara-Murage"
Date:

Bug reference:      4177
Logged by:          Githogori Nyangara-Murage
Email address:      githogori@SiliconBazaar.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1
Operating system:   CentOS 5.1
Details:

Either a pg_dumpall or pg_dump of a Slonified database on PostgreSQL 8.1.11
causes a segfault if I try to restore it on PostgreSQL 8.3.1. Got around it
by restoring onto another 8.1.11 and then did a cascaded drop <slony>
schema. The original Pg one was in production. The resulting dump was then
able to restore on an 8.3.1. Now we have 8.3.1 in production.

If you need more data, let me know since I can reproduce this at will.
"Githogori Nyangara-Murage" <githogori@SiliconBazaar.com> writes:
> Either a pg_dumpall or pg_dump of a Slonified database on PostgreSQL 8.1.11
> causes a segfault if I try to restore it on PostgreSQL 8.3.1.

Please provide a stack trace, or even better a dump file with which
someone else can reproduce the crash.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #4177: Dump and restore from Slonified 8.1.11 causes a segfault

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 08:40:16AM +0000, Githogori Nyangara-Murage wrote:

> Either a pg_dumpall or pg_dump of a Slonified database on PostgreSQL 8.1.11
> causes a segfault

When you say "slonified", do you mean "dumped from [some] replica [of
at least one table]" or "dumped from origin"?  If its the former, it
will never work.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/
Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> writes:
> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 08:40:16AM +0000, Githogori Nyangara-Murage wrote:
>> Either a pg_dumpall or pg_dump of a Slonified database on PostgreSQL 8.1.11
>> causes a segfault

> When you say "slonified", do you mean "dumped from [some] replica [of
> at least one table]" or "dumped from origin"?  If its the former, it
> will never work.

I'm not so much wondering whether it will "work" as why it is segfaulting.

            regards, tom lane