BUG #3872: backslash_quote = off doesn't work any more

From
"David Gradwell"
Date:

Bug reference:      3872
Logged by:          David Gradwell
Email address:      david@gradwell.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3-beta3
Operating system:   Windows Server 2003
Details:

set backslash_quote = off in postgresql.conf

create table a (a1 varchar(100))

insert into a(a1)   values ( '\602')

gives ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x82'

It worked fine in 8.2 !!

In fact to meet the sql standard we shouldn't have to change the conf file.
The default should be SQL compliance !!

I can email the current and 8.2 conf files if helpful.

Thanks

Re: BUG #3872: backslash_quote = off doesn't work any more

From
Tomasz Ostrowski
Date:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, David Gradwell wrote:

I think you need to
    set standard_conforming_strings=on;
instead.

Then:
    select '\''012'::text;
     text
    -------
     \'012
    (1 row)

     select '\012'::text;
     text
    ------
     \012
    (1 row)

I think this backslash_quote is ignored when
standard_conforming_strings is on.

Regards
Tometzky
--
...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a
moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you

Re: BUG #3872: backslash_quote = off doesn't work any more

Date:
"David Gradwell" <david@gradwell.com> writes:
> set backslash_quote = off in postgresql.conf

> create table a (a1 varchar(100))
> insert into a(a1)   values ( '\602')
> gives ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x82'

backslash_quote has got zero to do with that case.

            regards, tom lane