BUG #3845: tray icon that service is running

From
"Bozhan"
Date:

Bug reference:      3845
Logged by:          Bozhan
Email address:      bozhan@mail.bg
PostgreSQL version: 8.3-beta4
Operating system:   WinfowsXP
Details:

postgres needs icon in tray to show that service is running. to
stop/start/restart postgres maybe.
MSSQL and MySQL have such tray application.
thanks

Re: BUG #3845: tray icon that service is running

From
"Usama Dar"
> postgres needs icon in tray to show that service is running. to
> stop/start/restart postgres maybe.
> MSSQL and MySQL have such tray application.
> thanks

Huh?

--
Usama Munir Dar http://www.linkedin.com/in/usamadar
Consultant Architect

Re: BUG #3845: tray icon that service is running

From
Bill Moran
Date:
"Usama Dar" <munir.usama@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2007 3:51 AM, Bozhan <bozhan@mail.bg> wrote:
>

> > The following bug has been logged online:
> >
> > Bug reference:      3845
> > Logged by:          Bozhan
> > Email address:      bozhan@mail.bg
> > PostgreSQL version: 8.3-beta4
> > Operating system:   WinfowsXP
> > Details:
> >
> > postgres needs icon in tray to show that service is running. to
> > stop/start/restart postgres maybe.
> > MSSQL and MySQL have such tray application.
> > thanks
>
> Huh?

In the Windows world, the GUI is inseperable from the OS.

Now, on a server, I can't imagine the point.  I mean, do you sit, logged in
to your server, watching the tray to see if PG is running or not?

I can, however, see it being a nice addition for someone who's running PG
on their desktop as part of a development environment.

In any case, I doubt it deserves to be part of PostgreSQL proper.  If
someone is interested, probably a pgfoundry project would make sense.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

Re: BUG #3845: tray icon that service is running

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Bill Moran wrote:
> "Usama Dar" <munir.usama@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 30, 2007 3:51 AM, Bozhan <bozhan@mail.bg> wrote:
>>
>>> The following bug has been logged online:
>>>
>>> Bug reference:      3845
>>> Logged by:          Bozhan
>>> Email address:      bozhan@mail.bg
>>> PostgreSQL version: 8.3-beta4
>>> Operating system:   WinfowsXP
>>> Details:
>>>
>>> postgres needs icon in tray to show that service is running. to
>>> stop/start/restart postgres maybe.
>>> MSSQL and MySQL have such tray application.
>>> thanks
>> Huh?
>
> In the Windows world, the GUI is inseperable from the OS.
>
> Now, on a server, I can't imagine the point.  I mean, do you sit, logged in
> to your server, watching the tray to see if PG is running or not?
>
> I can, however, see it being a nice addition for someone who's running PG
> on their desktop as part of a development environment.
>
> In any case, I doubt it deserves to be part of PostgreSQL proper.  If
> someone is interested, probably a pgfoundry project would make sense.

There is one already:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgtray/

//Magnus

Re: BUG #3845: tray icon that service is running

Date:
Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com> writes:
> In any case, I doubt it deserves to be part of PostgreSQL proper.  If
> someone is interested, probably a pgfoundry project would make sense.

It's been done ...
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgtray/

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #3845: tray icon that service is running

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
> There is one already:
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgtray/

could it be bundled into the installer? There are more uses for a
database server then servers alone...

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Date:
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
>> There is one already:
>>
>> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgtray/
>

> could it be bundled into the installer? There are more uses for a
> database server then servers alone...

If someone makes a stackbuilder compatible installer for it (which I
think may have already been done), yes. But not while it's classified as
alpha-version...

//Magnus

Date:
Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> Bill Moran wrote:

[snip]

> > In any case, I doubt it deserves to be part of PostgreSQL proper.  If
> > someone is interested, probably a pgfoundry project would make sense.
> >

> There is one already:
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgtray/

Ah.  "bug" closed, then.

--

bozhan@mail.bg
Date:
=D6=E8=F2=E0=F2 =EE=F2 Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>:

> "Usama Dar" <munir.usama@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 30, 2007 3:51 AM, Bozhan <bozhan@mail.bg> wrote:
>>

>> > The following bug has been logged online:
>> >
>> > Bug reference:=A0 =A0 =A0 3845
>> > Logged by:=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bozhan
>> > Email address:=A0 =A0 =A0 bozhan@mail.bg
>> > PostgreSQL version: 8.3-beta4
>> > Operating system:=A0 =A0WinfowsXP
>> > Details:
>> >
>> > postgres needs icon in tray to show that service is running. to
>> > stop/start/restart postgres maybe.
>> > MSSQL and MySQL have such tray application.
>> > thanks
>>
>> Huh?
>
> In the Windows world, the GUI is inseperable from the OS.
>
> Now, on a server, I can't imagine the point.=A0 I mean, do you sit, logge=
d in
> to your server, watching the tray to see if PG is running or not?
>
> I can, however, see it being a nice addition for someone who's running PG
> on their desktop as part of a development environment.
>
> In any case, I doubt it deserves to be part of PostgreSQL proper.=A0 If
> someone is interested, probably a pgfoundry project would make sense.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Collaborative Fusion Inc.
>
> wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
> Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

ok. i just suggest it . i don't use postgres offten.

   but week ago i found some desktop application which uses postgres=20=20
as backend SQL .

   so i don't sit logged on my server, i sit logged to my desktop :)

   it is accounting software. everything went fine. application worked=20=
=20
and so on...

   i forgot about it and two days later i see in task manager that=20=20
postgres is running.

   the bug was someting like suggestion.:)

   cheers

   PS. i don't care if you put tray icon or not! :)

Sportingbet.com
15,000 =E5=E2=F0=EE =E2=F1=FF=EA=E0 =F1=E5=E4=EC=E8=F6=E0 =E2 =ED=E0=E3=F0=
=E0=E4=E8 =EE=F2 =E7=E0=EB=EE=E7=E8 =ED=E0 =D8=E0=EC=EF=E8=EE=ED=F1=EA=E0 =
=CB=E8=E3=E0!
  http://bg.sportingbet.com/t/index.aspx?affiliate=3Dmailbg10