Re: BUG #3845: tray icon that service is running - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From bozhan@mail.bg
Subject Re: BUG #3845: tray icon that service is running
Date
List pgsql-bugs
=D6=E8=F2=E0=F2 =EE=F2 Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>:

> "Usama Dar" <munir.usama@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 30, 2007 3:51 AM, Bozhan <bozhan@mail.bg> wrote:
>>

>> > The following bug has been logged online:
>> >
>> > Bug reference:=A0 =A0 =A0 3845
>> > Logged by:=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bozhan
>> > Email address:=A0 =A0 =A0 bozhan@mail.bg
>> > PostgreSQL version: 8.3-beta4
>> > Operating system:=A0 =A0WinfowsXP
>> > Details:
>> >
>> > postgres needs icon in tray to show that service is running. to
>> > stop/start/restart postgres maybe.
>> > MSSQL and MySQL have such tray application.
>> > thanks
>>
>> Huh?
>
> In the Windows world, the GUI is inseperable from the OS.
>
> Now, on a server, I can't imagine the point.=A0 I mean, do you sit, logge=
d in
> to your server, watching the tray to see if PG is running or not?
>
> I can, however, see it being a nice addition for someone who's running PG
> on their desktop as part of a development environment.
>
> In any case, I doubt it deserves to be part of PostgreSQL proper.=A0 If
> someone is interested, probably a pgfoundry project would make sense.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Collaborative Fusion Inc.
>
> wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
> Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

ok. i just suggest it . i don't use postgres offten.

   but week ago i found some desktop application which uses postgres=20=20
as backend SQL .

   so i don't sit logged on my server, i sit logged to my desktop :)

   it is accounting software. everything went fine. application worked=20=
=20
and so on...

   i forgot about it and two days later i see in task manager that=20=20
postgres is running.

   the bug was someting like suggestion.:)

   cheers

   PS. i don't care if you put tray icon or not! :)

Sportingbet.com
15,000 =E5=E2=F0=EE =E2=F1=FF=EA=E0 =F1=E5=E4=EC=E8=F6=E0 =E2 =ED=E0=E3=F0=
=E0=E4=E8 =EE=F2 =E7=E0=EB=EE=E7=E8 =ED=E0 =D8=E0=EC=EF=E8=EE=ED=F1=EA=E0 =
=CB=E8=E3=E0!
  http://bg.sportingbet.com/t/index.aspx?affiliate=3Dmailbg10