BUG #3512: buggy install + no manual support

From
"Lamia Jackson"
Date:

Bug reference:      3512
Logged by:          Lamia Jackson
Email address:      jimbosoak@yahoo.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.2.4.1
Operating system:   win32
Details:

before completing installation i recieve an installer exception that
packages (PostGIS, PL/Java, Slony-I) couldn't be activated. how could i
activate them manually and test that i'm sure that i done that. Probable for
all reason might be changing pgsql port from 5432

and very important for me. i'dont see an chapter in a manual that tell's me
how could i execute manually an SQL script for additional templates that
could be called per base needs. I left only Adminpack (preselected one) in
hope that the rest of them could easily be scripted if i need them in
creating a new database.

Re: BUG #3512: buggy install + no manual support

From
Magnus Hagander
> before completing installation i recieve an installer exception that
> packages (PostGIS, PL/Java, Slony-I) couldn't be activated. how could i
> activate them manually and test that i'm sure that i done that. Probable for
> all reason might be changing pgsql port from 5432

What error message did you get exactly?

> and very important for me. i'dont see an chapter in a manual that tell's me
> how could i execute manually an SQL script for additional templates that
> could be called per base needs. I left only Adminpack (preselected one) in
> hope that the rest of them could easily be scripted if i need them in
> creating a new database.

You do that using psql - see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-psql.html.

But yeah, that's far from obvious if you don't know where to look.

//Magnus

Re: BUG #3512: buggy install + no manual support

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
(please don't drop the list CC)

Jim Oak wrote:
> --- Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
>> What error message did you get exactly?
>
> "could not connect to database postgres: server closed
> the connection unexpectedly This probably means the
> server terminated abnormally before or while
> processing the request."

This should not be directly related to the port, it's something else
that's broken. You need to check the server logs (eventlog + pg_log
directory).

> but what's more important is in my last add ...
> postgres reads out registry during new install on
> previously installed machine ... could you simply add
> what it should be deleted from the registry during the
> uninstall ... and it seems that i should have whole
> new clean win install just to try it once more ...
> PRETTY COMPLICATED don't you think so ... I'd be much
> appreciated to tell me how to reset pass cause it
> simply won't catch any new one (db server)

Is this the database password or the service user password?

If it's the db password, change your pg_hba config to trust, log in,
change the password, and then change pg_hba back to md5. If you search
the archives, there should be detailed instructions.

If it's the service password, use the standard user management snapin in
windows.

//Magnus

Re: BUG #3512: buggy install + no manual support

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Again, please don't drop the list CC.

Jim Oak wrote:
> --- Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
>> (please don't drop the list CC)
>>

>> Jim Oak wrote:

>>> "could not connect to database postgres: server
>> closed
>>> the connection unexpectedly This probably means
>> the
>>> server terminated abnormally before or while
>>> processing the request."
>> This should not be directly related to the port,
>> it's something else
>> that's broken. You need to check the server logs
>> (eventlog + pg_log
>> directory).
>
> yes go figure it out ... for unix/linux install there
> are min requirements in manual (gcc installed) ...
> what's min kernel that supports pgsql 8 but for win32
> there is nothing about that winxp sp1 is not
> supportted (why not?) yes i saw in port compiltaion
> desc they used mingw on wxpsp2 but why it couldn't
> work on sp1

It works fine on SP1. I'd certainly recommend SP2 in all cases though -
nobody should really be using XP without it.

> part of pg_log: (well other logs are empty for some
> reason and last part of text repeats few times in this
> first log)
>
> 2007-08-05 22:20:29 LOG:  checkpoint record is at
> 0/487970
> 2007-08-05 22:20:29 LOG:  redo record is at 0/487970;
> undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> 2007-08-05 22:20:29 LOG:  next transaction ID: 0/595;
> next OID: 10820
> 2007-08-05 22:20:29 LOG:  next MultiXactId: 1; next
> MultiXactOffset: 0
> 2007-08-05 22:20:30 LOG:  could not receive data from
> client: An operation was attempted on something that
> is not a socket.

If you search the archives, you will find that this is typical of buggy
antivirus or firewall software. Do you have any such software installed
on your server?

> As I stated above for some unknown reason i have no
> problems insttal it on the other machine with sp2?
>
> Is that cause ms changed some libs that's msvcc relies
> on or it's just my old (crappy, decaying, shitty)
> winsp1 install.

It shouldn't be, it's most likely something else installed on that machine.

>> If it's the db password, change your pg_hba config
>> to trust, log in,
>> change the password, and then change pg_hba back to
>> md5. If you search
>> the archives, there should be detailed instructions.
>
> Thx i'll try it (cause im interested to figure it out)
> ... i already try to mess around postgresql.conf w/o
> any progress ... but why you pointing me to pg_hba
> isn't that only to set trusted IPs nothing to do with
> passwords.

No. pg_hba tells which authentication method is used for which IPs. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html.

> and localhost is already set to trust
>
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32
> md5

No, that clearly sets localhost to md5.

//Magnus