BUG #2084: Add WIN1253 to CLIENT_ENCODING encodings

From
""
Date:

Bug reference:      2084
Logged by:
Email address:      S.Kozanis@itia.ntua.gr
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.1
Operating system:   Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
Details:

This encoding (WIN1253) is essential for Windows database application in
order to display correctly string in Greek language.

Alternatively we are using the iso encoding (ISO_8859_7) that does not
display correctly some characters in Microsoft Windows enviroments (that is
the accented capital Alpha, and some others characters).

Re: BUG #2084: Add WIN1253 to CLIENT_ENCODING encodings

Date:
We will need someone to add this encoding.  Right now I don't know
anyone working on it.

S.Kozanis@itia.ntua.gr wrote:

> Bug reference:      2084
> Logged by:
> Email address:      S.Kozanis@itia.ntua.gr
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.1
> Operating system:   Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
> Details:
>
> This encoding (WIN1253) is essential for Windows database application in
> order to display correctly string in Greek language.
>
> Alternatively we are using the iso encoding (ISO_8859_7) that does not
> display correctly some characters in Microsoft Windows enviroments (that is
> the accented capital Alpha, and some others characters).

Re: BUG #2084: Add WIN1253 to CLIENT_ENCODING encodings

From
Stefanos Kozanis
Date:
Thank you for your attention,

For your convenience, I send you two charts describing
the two (almost similar) encodings in order to use them
when someone works on this bug.

http://www.fileformat.info/info/charset/windows-1253/grid.htm
http://www.fileformat.info/info/charset/ISO-8859-7/grid.htm

The only difference in local symbols between the two
encodings is on the Greek accented capital "A"
(looks like 'A).

Other (non local) win1253 symbols inherit from the
standard win1252 (Latin) encoding.

Thanking you,

Stefanos Kozanis

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We will need someone to add this encoding.  Right now I don't know
> anyone working on it.

> S.Kozanis@itia.ntua.gr wrote:
>
>>The following bug has been logged online:
>>
>>Bug reference:      2084
>>Logged by:
>>Email address:      S.Kozanis@itia.ntua.gr
>>PostgreSQL version: 8.0.1
>>Operating system:   Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
>>Details:

Re: BUG #2084: Add WIN1253 to CLIENT_ENCODING encodings

Date:
Added to TODO list.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: BUG #2084: Add WIN1253 to CLIENT_ENCODING encodings

From
Kris Jurka
Date:
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Added to TODO list.

Already done.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2006-02/msg00299.php

Kris Jurka

Re: BUG #2084: Add WIN1253 to CLIENT_ENCODING encodings

Date:
Oh, forgot again.  These emails are too old for my memory, it seems.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us