Help Needed

From
"Mahesh Shinde"
Date:
Hi
I have created an Application in VB . In this application I want to show re=
cords in the grid using a like query which fetch the values from the table =
which is having about 55 lac debtor list in it. I have applied like query o=
n Debtor Id which is a primary key and having index on it.=20

I am facing a problem while displaying these records in the grid it is taki=
ng lot of time. But strange thing out of it is when I am debugging the prog=
ram it is not taking much more time to display the contains where as when I=
 compile it and create an exe of the application I found drastic time diffe=
rence between execution of the program and display the contains for the same

Please tell me this problem is of driver problem or database problem since =
I am not facing any problem between SQL2000 and VB

Thanks & regards,
Mahesh Shinde
Codec Communications (I) Pvt. Ltd.
PUNE (INDIA)
T # 91-20-24221460/70(Ext 43)
Desk No. 25143
Email - mahesh.shinde@codecindia.com=

Re: Help Needed

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Mahesh Shinde wrote:
> Hi I have created an Application in VB . In this application I want
> to show records in the grid using a like query which fetch the values
> from the table which is having about 55 lac debtor list in it. I have
> applied like query on Debtor Id which is a primary key and having
> index on it.

Mahesh, your subject-line doesn't say anything useful. If you didn't
need help you wouldn't be posting a message, would you? Perhaps try
something like "data selection slow from VB".

Also you don't mention a bug in PostrgreSQL at all. Can I suggest you
subscribe to the general mailing list and give *at least* the following
information:
1. What version+OS you are using for PostgreSQL.
2. How you connect to it from VB.
3. What the speed difference between the query from VB and psql is.
4. Whether there is anything unusual in the system logs when you
increase logging options.
5. Whether there is a problem with only one query or many/all queries.
6. Whether you are happy your configuration settings for PostgreSQL are
good. How you know this.

See you on the general lists soon!

--
   Richard Huxton