IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(...) failed: No space left on device

From
jerry
Date:
I shortened the error msg to fit it into the subject box.

I just completed a fresh install (not upgrade) of MDK 9.2 onto a 1.0 GHz
Athlon with 512 MB of RAM.  The PostgreSQL 7.3.4 RPMs were installed when I
did the MDK 9.2 install, which also created the postgres account.

The 'short version' for installation worked perfectly up to the following
step:

initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

which I have used for several years, failed on me for the first time, giving
the error msg shown in the Subject box.

I am not going to recompile MDK's kernel to raise the maximum number of
semaphores (SEMMNS), and the 'max_connections' parameter is currently at 1
and can't go lower, unless it is indexed starting at zero.

I was unable to post this to the Mandrake Bugzilla page because it is down.

What is the possiblity that I would encounter this error if I were to remove
the 7.3.4 RPMs and install the 7.4 tar files manually?

TIA!
--
GreyGeek

Re: IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(...) failed: No space left on device

From
GreyGeek
jerry wrote:

> jerry wrote:
>
>> I shortened the error msg to fit it into the subject box.
>>
>> I just completed a fresh install (not upgrade) of MDK 9.2 onto a 1.0 GHz
>> Athlon with 512 MB of RAM.  The PostgreSQL 7.3.4 RPMs were installed when
>> I did the MDK 9.2 install, which also created the postgres account.
>>
>> The 'short version' for installation worked perfectly up to the following
>> step:
>>
>> initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>>
>> which I have used for several years, failed on me for the first time,
>> giving the error msg shown in the Subject box.
>>
>> I am not going to recompile MDK's kernel to raise the maximum number of
>> semaphores (SEMMNS), and the 'max_connections' parameter is currently at
>> 1 and can't go lower, unless it is indexed starting at zero.
>>
>> I was unable to post this to the Mandrake Bugzilla page because it is
>> down.
>>
>> What is the possiblity that I would encounter this error if I were to
>> remove the 7.3.4 RPMs and install the 7.4 tar files manually?
>>
>> TIA!
>> --
>> GreyGeek
>
> I'll answer my own question:  NO!
>
> gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/home/jerry/postgresql-7.4/contrib/spi'
> /bin/sh ./pg_regress --temp-install --top-builddir=../../..
> --schedule=./parallel_schedule --multibyte=SQL_ASCII
> ============== creating temporary installation        ==============
> ============== initializing database system           ==============
>
> pg_regress: initdb failed
> Examine ./log/initdb.log for the reason.
>
> The initdb.log gave the exact same reason for failure, except for:
>  "reduce PostgreSQL's consumption of semaphores by reducing its
> max_connections parameter (currently 10)."
>
> I know from the error msg in the RPM installation that even with a
> 'max_connections" = 1 the failure occurres.   It seems that the standard
> MDK 9.2 kernel (2.4.22-10mdk) is not compatible with PostgreSQL 7.3.4 or
> 7.4.  ???

sheesh!   Some days I should stay in bed.
Ignore this thread.  The problem is operator error.

Date:
jerry <jkreps@neb.rr.com> writes:
> What is the possiblity that I would encounter this error if I were to remove
> the 7.3.4 RPMs and install the 7.4 tar files manually?

Mere presence of the 7.3 RPMs would not trigger this error.  However, if
you are trying to run 7.3 and 7.4 postmasters concurrently, you might
run into such problems.  I'd suggest trimming the 7.3 installation's
max_connections so that you can use something reasonable for the 7.4
one.

            regards, tom lane