Re: IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(...) failed: No space left on device - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From jerry
Subject Re: IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(...) failed: No space left on device
Date
List pgsql-bugs
jerry wrote:

> I shortened the error msg to fit it into the subject box.
>
> I just completed a fresh install (not upgrade) of MDK 9.2 onto a 1.0 GHz
> Athlon with 512 MB of RAM.  The PostgreSQL 7.3.4 RPMs were installed when
> I did the MDK 9.2 install, which also created the postgres account.
>
> The 'short version' for installation worked perfectly up to the following
> step:
>
> initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> which I have used for several years, failed on me for the first time,
> giving the error msg shown in the Subject box.
>
> I am not going to recompile MDK's kernel to raise the maximum number of
> semaphores (SEMMNS), and the 'max_connections' parameter is currently at 1
> and can't go lower, unless it is indexed starting at zero.
>
> I was unable to post this to the Mandrake Bugzilla page because it is
> down.
>
> What is the possiblity that I would encounter this error if I were to
> remove the 7.3.4 RPMs and install the 7.4 tar files manually?
>
> TIA!
> --
> GreyGeek

I'll answer my own question:  NO!

gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/home/jerry/postgresql-7.4/contrib/spi'
/bin/sh ./pg_regress --temp-install --top-builddir=../../..
--schedule=./parallel_schedule --multibyte=SQL_ASCII
============== creating temporary installation        ==============
============== initializing database system           ==============

pg_regress: initdb failed
Examine ./log/initdb.log for the reason.

The initdb.log gave the exact same reason for failure, except for:
 "reduce PostgreSQL's consumption of semaphores by reducing its
max_connections parameter (currently 10)."

I know from the error msg in the RPM installation that even with a
'max_connections" = 1 the failure occurres.   It seems that the standard
MDK 9.2 kernel (2.4.22-10mdk) is not compatible with PostgreSQL 7.3.4 or
7.4.  ???

--
GreyGeek