Bug #447: lost connection to back end

From
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Date:
Terry Hughes (terryhughes@kirkcudbright.freeserve.co.uk) reports a bug with a severity of 3

Short Description
lost connection to back end

Long Description
If I do a select in psql with a fairly large number of rows expected to be returned , i get a message to say that the
connectionto the back end has been terminated.

If i use a where clause to reduce the number of rows returned then all is well.

Is this a bug or is something in the documentation that I have missed.

Thanks Terry

Sample Code
select ref from geneoligy; Fails
select ref from geneoligy where ref like '1%' is OK

No file was uploaded with this report

Re: Bug #447: lost connection to back end

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
> Terry Hughes (terryhughes@kirkcudbright.freeserve.co.uk) reports a bug with a severity of 3

> If I do a select in psql with a fairly large number of rows expected
> to be returned , i get a message to say that the connection to the
> back end has been terminated.

If you are not using PostgreSQL 7.1.3, please consider an upgrade.

If you are, and we are supposed to fix the bug, then we need to see it
happen for ourselves first.  That means we need the table schema, the
table data, the queries, etc.

You could also try to generate a backtrace from the core dump that the
crashed backend must have left in your $PGDATA directory.