Irix build failes (PSQL 7.1.1)

From
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Date:
Erik Hofman (erik@ehofman.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Irix build failes (PSQL 7.1.1)

Long Description
I'm unable to build on Irix (6.5.9) using the MipsPro compiler (Vs 7.3). The output is this:

cc-1092 cc: ERROR File = ../../../../src/include/utils/nabstime.h, Line = 157
  Identifier-list parameters can only be used in a function definition.

  extern Datum timeofday(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
               ^

cc-1092 cc: ERROR File = ../../../../src/include/access/xact.h, Line = 146
  Identifier-list parameters can only be used in a function definition.

  extern Datum xidin(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
               ^

cc-3452 cc: ERROR File = ../../../../src/include/access/xact.h, Line = 146
  The compilation is aborted due to the number of errors.

101 errors detected in the compilation of "heaptuple.c".

Do you have any ideas?

Erik

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report

Re: Irix build failes (PSQL 7.1.1)

Date:
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org writes:
> I'm unable to build on Irix (6.5.9) using the MipsPro compiler (Vs 7.3). The output is this:

> cc-1092 cc: ERROR File = ../../../../src/include/utils/nabstime.h, Line = 157
>   Identifier-list parameters can only be used in a function definition.

>   extern Datum timeofday(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
>                ^

Very strange ... especially considering that that include file has
dozens of nearly identical extern declarations.  Why does it choke on
only this one?

Does your compiler documentation explain this error message more fully?
I'm not at all sure what it means by "Identifier-list parameters".

            regards, tom lane

Re: Irix build failes (PSQL 7.1.1)

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> > I'm unable to build on Irix (6.5.9) using the MipsPro compiler (Vs 7.3). The output is this:
> > cc-1092 cc: ERROR File = ../../../../src/include/utils/nabstime.h, Line = 157
> >   Identifier-list parameters can only be used in a function definition.
> >   extern Datum timeofday(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
> Very strange ... especially considering that that include file has
> dozens of nearly identical extern declarations.  Why does it choke on
> only this one?
> Does your compiler documentation explain this error message more fully?
> I'm not at all sure what it means by "Identifier-list parameters".

I'll bet a nickel that it is a name conflict with something else called
"timeofday".

                    - Thomas

Re: Irix build failes (PSQL 7.1.1)

Date:
Erik Hofman <erik@ehofman.com> writes:
> Well I've managed to get rid of this error message (remove old header
> files),

What do you mean by that, exactly?

If you had header files from another version of Postgres cluttering
your include path, maybe there are still some left.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Irix build failes (PSQL 7.1.1)

From
Erik Hofman
Date:
Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > I'm unable to build on Irix (6.5.9) using the MipsPro compiler (Vs 7.3). The output is this:
> > > cc-1092 cc: ERROR File = ../../../../src/include/utils/nabstime.h, Line = 157
> > >   Identifier-list parameters can only be used in a function definition.
> > >   extern Datum timeofday(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
> > Very strange ... especially considering that that include file has
> > dozens of nearly identical extern declarations.  Why does it choke on
> > only this one?
> > Does your compiler documentation explain this error message more fully?
> > I'm not at all sure what it means by "Identifier-list parameters".
>
> I'll bet a nickel that it is a name conflict with something else called
> "timeofday".

Well I've managed to get rid of this error message (remove old header
files), but now i get this:

cc-1130 cc: ERROR File = heaptuple.c, Line = 684
  Expression must have pointer-to-struct or pointer-to-union type.

                        value[attoff] = heap_getattr(tuple,
                                        ^

cc-1130 cc: ERROR File = heaptuple.c, Line = 684
  Expression must have pointer-to-struct or pointer-to-union type.

                        value[attoff] = heap_getattr(tuple,
                                        ^

cc-1130 cc: ERROR File = heaptuple.c, Line = 684
  Expression must have pointer-to-struct or pointer-to-union type.

                        value[attoff] = heap_getattr(tuple,
                                        ^

79 errors detected in the compilation of "heaptuple.c".

Erik