debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages

From
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Date:
JP (smasher@bikerider.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages

Long Description
I'm trying to silence the annoying output generated by vacuum.  I've
tried both command line options (-d 0, -S (with syslog enabled)) and
postgresql.conf (debug_level = 0, silent_mode = 1).  Setting debug
level to 0 should silence these messages, but still let errors through.  Setting debug level higher seems to generate
moreoutput, which is great.  just be nice if the vacuum output were at level 3 or
greater.

Platform: OpenBSD 2.8 (i386)
PG Version: 7.1

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report

Re: debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi,

This might sound weird, but try "

pg_ctl start -o '-d0'

Include any other options you need of course too.  The point is not
having a space between the -d and the 0.

This fixes things for me when I have the default startup options
different, but need logging off for a while.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org wrote:

> JP (smasher@bikerider.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2
>
> Short Description
> debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages
>
> Long Description
> I'm trying to silence the annoying output generated by vacuum.  I've
> tried both command line options (-d 0, -S (with syslog enabled)) and
> postgresql.conf (debug_level = 0, silent_mode = 1).  Setting debug
> level to 0 should silence these messages, but still let errors through.  Setting debug level higher seems to generate
moreoutput, which is great.  just be nice if the vacuum output were at level 3 or
> greater.
>
> Platform: OpenBSD 2.8 (i386)
> PG Version: 7.1
>
> Sample Code
>
> No file was uploaded with this report

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages

From
Jon
Date:
Hi,
    I'm not using pg_ctl, I'm using postmaster directly.  So, in my case I
tried passing "-d0" to it, but it had no effect.  Command line:

postmaster -i -d0 -D /var/pgsql/data -c syslog=2

Any ideas?  I could patch the code to remove the excessive elog's in the
vacuum command, but I'd rather understand how elog interacts with the
global DebugLvl variable.

JP

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This might sound weird, but try "
>
> pg_ctl start -o '-d0'
>
> Include any other options you need of course too.  The point is not
> having a space between the -d and the 0.
>
> This fixes things for me when I have the default startup options
> different, but need logging off for a while.
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>
> pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org wrote:
> >
> > JP (smasher@bikerider.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2
> > The lower the number the more severe it is.
> >
> > Short Description
> > debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages
> >
> > Long Description
> > I'm trying to silence the annoying output generated by vacuum.  I've
> > tried both command line options (-d 0, -S (with syslog enabled)) and
> > postgresql.conf (debug_level = 0, silent_mode = 1).  Setting debug
> > level to 0 should silence these messages, but still let errors through.  Setting debug level higher seems to
generatemore output, which is great.  just be nice if the vacuum output were at level 3 or
> > greater.
> >
> > Platform: OpenBSD 2.8 (i386)
> > PG Version: 7.1
> >
> > Sample Code
> >
> > No file was uploaded with this report

>      - Indira Gandhi

Re: debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages

Date:
Can you give me a few sample lines that you are seeing in the log?

> Hi,
>     I'm not using pg_ctl, I'm using postmaster directly.  So, in my case I
> tried passing "-d0" to it, but it had no effect.  Command line:
>
> postmaster -i -d0 -D /var/pgsql/data -c syslog=2
>
> Any ideas?  I could patch the code to remove the excessive elog's in the
> vacuum command, but I'd rather understand how elog interacts with the
> global DebugLvl variable.
>
> JP
>
> On Tue, 1 May 2001, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This might sound weird, but try "
> >
> > pg_ctl start -o '-d0'
> >
> > Include any other options you need of course too.  The point is not
> > having a space between the -d and the 0.
> >
> > This fixes things for me when I have the default startup options
> > different, but need logging off for a while.
> >
> > Regards and best wishes,
> >
> > Justin Clift
> >
> > pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org wrote:
> > >
> > > JP (smasher@bikerider.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2
> > > The lower the number the more severe it is.
> > >
> > > Short Description
> > > debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages
> > >
> > > Long Description
> > > I'm trying to silence the annoying output generated by vacuum.  I've
> > > tried both command line options (-d 0, -S (with syslog enabled)) and
> > > postgresql.conf (debug_level = 0, silent_mode = 1).  Setting debug
> > > level to 0 should silence these messages, but still let errors through.  Setting debug level higher seems to
generatemore output, which is great.  just be nice if the vacuum output were at level 3 or
> > > greater.
> > >
> > > Platform: OpenBSD 2.8 (i386)
> > > PG Version: 7.1
> > >
> > > Sample Code
> > >
> > > No file was uploaded with this report

> > --
> > "My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those
> > who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the
> > first group; there was less competition there."
> >      - Indira Gandhi

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages

From
Peter Eisentraut
Jon writes:

>     I'm not using pg_ctl, I'm using postmaster directly.  So, in my case I
> tried passing "-d0" to it, but it had no effect.  Command line:
>
> postmaster -i -d0 -D /var/pgsql/data -c syslog=2
>
> Any ideas?  I could patch the code to remove the excessive elog's in the
> vacuum command, but I'd rather understand how elog interacts with the
> global DebugLvl variable.

The "interaction" is completely ad hoc, i.e., the code is free to write
anything to the log and completely ignore the debug level.  I agree that
there should be a more systematic approach to what gets logged.

Re: debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages

From
Jon
Date:
Sure,
   I have about 70 tables, each vacuum prints out something like this per
table.  You'll notice it prints stuff for each index also.

postgres[23034]: [566] DEBUG:  --Relation test--
postgres[23034]: [567-1] DEBUG:  Pages 1: Changed 1, reaped 1, Empty 0,
New 0; Tup 3: Vac 1, Keep/VTL 0/0, Crash 0, UnUsed 14, MinLen 67, MaxLen
67;
postgres[23034]: [567-2]  Re-using: Free/Avail. Space 7896/0;
EndEmpty/Avail. Pages 0/0. CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec.
postgres[23034]: [568] DEBUG:  Index test_pkey: Pages 2;
Tuples 3: Deleted 1. CPU -1.99s/0.00u sec.

Also, on a side note, I read a post to the list about 2 weeks ago about
you writing a performance tuning document and putting it up on the
website. Did this happen and I miss it, or is it still in the works?

Thanks,
   Jon Poland

Date:
> Sure,
>    I have about 70 tables, each vacuum prints out something like this per
> table.  You'll notice it prints stuff for each index also.
>
> postgres[23034]: [566] DEBUG:  --Relation test--
> postgres[23034]: [567-1] DEBUG:  Pages 1: Changed 1, reaped 1, Empty 0,
> New 0; Tup 3: Vac 1, Keep/VTL 0/0, Crash 0, UnUsed 14, MinLen 67, MaxLen
> 67;
> postgres[23034]: [567-2]  Re-using: Free/Avail. Space 7896/0;
> EndEmpty/Avail. Pages 0/0. CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec.
> postgres[23034]: [568] DEBUG:  Index test_pkey: Pages 2;
> Tuples 3: Deleted 1. CPU -1.99s/0.00u sec.
>
> Also, on a side note, I read a post to the list about 2 weeks ago about
> you writing a performance tuning document and putting it up on the
> website. Did this happen and I miss it, or is it still in the works?

OK, I did a little research on this.  It turns out that this code in
vacuum.c:

    if (vacstmt->verbose)
        MESSAGE_LEVEL = NOTICE;
    else
        MESSAGE_LEVEL = DEBUG;

controls whether the message comes out as a NOTICE or a DEBUG.  My guess
is that you are doing a VACUUM VERBOSE, and those are coming out in the
server logs.

Guys, is this the proper way to handle this?

Re: debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages

Date:
> OK, I did a little research on this.  It turns out that this code in
> vacuum.c:

>     if (vacstmt->verbose)
>         MESSAGE_LEVEL = NOTICE;
>     else
>         MESSAGE_LEVEL = DEBUG;

> controls whether the message comes out as a NOTICE or a DEBUG.  My guess
> is that you are doing a VACUUM VERBOSE, and those are coming out in the
> server logs.

> Guys, is this the proper way to handle this?

It could probably be done better, but VACUUM has behaved like that for
quite a few years now.  I don't see any need to change it until we have
a complete redesign of message handling in mind.  Peter E. has muttered
about some ideas in that line...

            regards, tom lane