Re: debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: debug_level 0 does not stop debug messages
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> OK, I did a little research on this.  It turns out that this code in
> vacuum.c:

>     if (vacstmt->verbose)
>         MESSAGE_LEVEL = NOTICE;
>     else
>         MESSAGE_LEVEL = DEBUG;

> controls whether the message comes out as a NOTICE or a DEBUG.  My guess
> is that you are doing a VACUUM VERBOSE, and those are coming out in the
> server logs.

> Guys, is this the proper way to handle this?

It could probably be done better, but VACUUM has behaved like that for
quite a few years now.  I don't see any need to change it until we have
a complete redesign of message handling in mind.  Peter E. has muttered
about some ideas in that line...

            regards, tom lane